Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Welcome me to the "Lost #7 Cyl Club" - Time for a 416 stroker?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Exclamation Welcome me to the "Lost #7 Cyl Club" - Time for a 416 stroker?

When you think things couldn't get any worse, it does....

Last year after I got my 9" rear end rebuilt ($600 later) due to being set up wrong from Scott @ DLS, I went to the track to see what my car would do with with a 3.89 gear. I ended up going a slower, ET and MPH, WTF? My best NA before was 12.0 @ 117 and the best I did last fall was a 12.3 @ 113 MPH.

I've heard that a 9" could suck up a few HP so I got my car on the dyno after the track day (same one I've used for years) and I was about 5-7 HP down on the first pull.

Did another pull and then all of a sudden I had oil on my windshield, my oil dipstick popped up at about 6,000 rpms, I guess that means too much crankcase pressure.

Got the car home, cleaned it up and put it up for the winter. About a week ago, I went to Harbor Freight and bought a Compression Checker Kit. Removed the Coil packs, removed all the spark plugs and started doing the tests.

All but #7 was just over 200PSI, Lucky Number 7 was at 70 PSI.

My tune has always been dead on with a NA AFR at 12.8 and timing at 27 degrees and when I was spraying my Dry 75 shot of N20, timing was at 24 degrees and 11.7 AFR.

I've always wanted to do a stroker but I figured I'd do it on my terms when I was ready, o-well I guess I really have a reason to do one now.

I've told my dad this and he said couldn't you just replace the bad piston and rings in Cyl 7? I said probably not since it might need to be rebalanced. I feel if I'm going to go through all that work to yank the engine, I'm not putting a stock one back in.

The car drives fine but for the rest of the year, I guess I'll just putt around town to local car shows and the ocassional cruise.

So please welcome me to the "Lost #7 Cyl Club" with open arms, a 416 CI sounds like a good fit between the strut towers....
Old 05-16-2009, 10:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice!