Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I get a bigger cam?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get a bigger cam?

My '04 GTO isn't my DD anymore and I still have the TR230 cam in there. While it's great for DD as it has a metric **** ton of torque down low, I think I can sacrifice some of that torque to get a little quicker at the track and roll racing. Do you guys think it would be worth the extra 20-30hp I could squeak out of the car with a vrx5 or ms3 sized cam?

Mods:
Forged bottom end with 11:1 compression
untouched 799 heads
full bolt ons
spray in the near future

On a Mustang dyno it put down 364whp and at the track it trapped 87mph in the 1/8 with a decent launch.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i have the same cam, and with heads it put down 405RWHP. I am also missing, UD pulley, ported TB, gears, and a couple other things. It is an awesome cam, and in all honesty, I couldnt talk myself into selling it for a bigger cam. It is a great street manners, and it runs like hell, especially on the bottle. For the money to change to a bigger cam, I would pick up some PRC 5.3 heads milled a little bit and make that same power difference, or more.

EDIT: by the way, it loves the bottle!
Old 06-06-2009, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree I think heads would be a better choice to get some more power but keep the street manners you like-Like Splatt said get them milled an maybe bump up your compression just a bit more for the spray.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SPLATT
i have the same cam, and with heads it put down 405RWHP. I am also missing, UD pulley, ported TB, gears, and a couple other things. It is an awesome cam, and in all honesty, I couldnt talk myself into selling it for a bigger cam. It is a great street manners, and it runs like hell, especially on the bottle. For the money to change to a bigger cam, I would pick up some PRC 5.3 heads milled a little bit and make that same power difference, or more.

EDIT: by the way, it loves the bottle!
Do you have the PRC 5.3 heads?

Originally Posted by Daredevil_TA
I agree I think heads would be a better choice to get some more power but keep the street manners you like-Like Splatt said get them milled an maybe bump up your compression just a bit more for the spray.
11:1 already is a decent amount of compression. Go big and buy your self a nice set of heads. I think there are a few people runing the Trickflow's with the TR230 on here with stellar results.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

5.3's ?? My point exactly. Why go cheap on heads ?? Get the TFS 215's, some YT rockers and be done with it. Mill to get the desired compression and DO NOT Swap cams. That cam sounds like a kick *** DD'r grind
Old 06-06-2009, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

it is a kick *** DD grind. I am running the PRC LS6 stage 2 heads, i have recently decided to get them milled, but im deployed so i havent looked too much into it yet. the car was also tuned for a 150 shot at the time. If you have the coin definitely go with TFS or AFRs. they make awesome power with this cam.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do cam and heads.. you will be able to get most of the money back for the cam if you sell it...i vote TEA 1.5s with g5x3 or x4 if you really want a track car...
Old 06-23-2009, 12:43 AM
TECH Resident

You'll have to flycut for the 1.5's...