Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tach problem, bad cam sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 02:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tach problem, bad cam sensor?

Since last summer I have had an intermittent tachometer problem, first time it accrued the tach died and the SES light came on. I can’t remember the code, but I went in with a obd2 reader and deleted the code, and the tach started to work again. Not much later the tach died again, but no SES light.
Since then the tach lies on the bottom, 0rpm, and some times it starts to move and when it does, it moves very fast and in consistent (moves al over the range). Since the problem seams to be a signal problem, Could it be the cam sensor or the crank trigger?

I think the problem occurred after I replaced the clutch and dissembled the flywheel.
Could I have damaged a cable?

Is this the cam sensor btw.

Thanks Anton
Old 06-10-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A similar thing happened to a friends 02 Camaro. No tach, and eventually an SES light and it ended up being a mouse had chewed threw the cam sensor wiring while the car was in storage. I'm pretty sure the part you have circled in your diagram is the cam sensor because I know the garage that fixed this car said they had to remove the intake to fix the wiring. Hope this helps. Good Luck.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:01 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

That is the cam sensor that you circled. It could very well be the sensor or the wiring, or a ground issue.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 06-11-2009, 01:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input!

Originally Posted by Mumbles
A similar thing happened to a friends 02 Camaro. No tach, and eventually an SES light and it ended up being a mouse had chewed threw the cam sensor wiring while the car was in storage. I'm pretty sure the part you have circled in your diagram is the cam sensor because I know the garage that fixed this car said they had to remove the intake to fix the wiring. Hope this helps. Good Luck.
That might be the problem.. have to have a look att the wiring, it could have been damaged when i replaced the clutch. Since i had the trans "hanging" in the engine mounts while i was unbolting the trans.

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2009, 10:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Needed Tach info so am bookmarking...

Quick Reply: Tach problem, bad cam sensor?