Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 in a 1972 DeTomaso Pantera?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 03:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS6 in a 1972 DeTomaso Pantera?

I m thinking of replacing my Ford351C for Z06/LS6 engine in my Pantera.
But i dont know if it's possible to make it fit without some major rebuilding of the car...Can i get hold of the LS1/LS6 dimensions (W,H,D etc) somewhere ?

My first ? is wheather the intake/throttlebody will end up too close to the rearwindow / firewall or not...If so how could i get around this.
I bet it's not possible to reverse the whole intake 180deg. ?

One idéa would be to fabricate a dramaticly bent intake tube that goes back over the engine and into a pair of conefilters or something.

My second ? is the Computer (ECU) control.. Since the 1972 Pantera is stoneage-tech i wonder what i need to get the engine working correcly (sensors etc.) ?

My third and last ? is the adaptation of the 5speed ZF transmission... currently intended to be mounted on Ford blocks...Is it easy to get hold of a Bellhouse that could be custom fited to the ZF or will one have to CNC-machine the whole unit ?

All ideas and input will be greatfully accepted.

Cheers
Jonas, Sweden

Here's the car:
http://www.soulcollector.nu/nemesis/
Old 11-17-2003, 07:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Run a search for Ultima. The Ultima kit car can use a LS1 in its mid engine mounting with the TB facing the transaxle.

http://www.ultimacars.com/
Old 11-17-2003, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

Wow, nice car man. IMO i would stick a blown quadcammer in there. At least keep it a Ford as it was meant to be.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The LS1 will weigh less and debatably cheaper to mod than a Ford DOHC.

The quad cam swap has been done before though. I believe the 351W can be done easily as the mounts and bellhousing are the same? Also the 351W opens you up to much of the 5.0 mods and EFI.

The LS1 Pantera would be
Old 11-17-2003, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anything can be done if you the patience and the budget. The LS1 intake manifold can be put on backwards so the TB will face the rear. Wiring harnesses can be custom made, etc. You really just need to do a lot of research.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Take a look here, I bet this guy could answer a lot of your questions. http://alansfiero.ls1swap.com
Old 11-17-2003, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 995 Posts

Soul, welcome to the board.

Check out the conversion section...some folks install the LS6 intake backwards...bolts right up with little fuss...that way you don't have loop stuff around and clearance will be less of an issue...there is a Fiero that was done on as well as other projects.

There is a new GMPP carb intake and set up coming for the LS1 that worth considering. Edelbrock also has a carb set up coming. These should make for easy swaps into your Pantera
Old 11-17-2003, 09:45 AM
BADA BING BADA BOOM!!!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Edelbrock just came out with a new carburated intake for the LS1/6 motors. You would still need the PCM to run the ignition and other electronics.

Good luck!
Old 11-17-2003, 09:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 995 Posts

BTW with the new GMPP Carb intake you won't need electronics if you won't want them. The GMPP carb intake can go crank trigger or gear driven distributer w/adapter. It's a single plane and will offer better performance than Ed hands down.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:38 AM
Teching In

Default Carburetor ?!

Thanks for your replys folks !

My first question would have to be...Why would i want a carburetor on a engine that was built with EFI that is far cooler than stoneage-carbs ? My plan is to get as far away from those as possible.

Anyway.. it's nice to know that you can twist the intake with not to much trouble...this way the installation will look very nice.

The DOHC Ford engine is so expensive that i rather sell the pantera and by a Ford GT and since that engine is the only ford engine i would consider it's out of the quetion

The only trouble i can see is the Transmission adaptation and getting the electronics working... another idéa i have is to rip out the H.U.D from the Vette and us that too..would be quite cool in a pantera from 1972

Cheers !
Old 11-17-2003, 11:20 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah the hardest problem I see would be getting the transmission adapter to go to the ZF. A machine shop could build one of those for a price, but look around because Chevy/Ford swaps have been common place for years.

BTW, I think having an LS6 in a Pantera would killer combo! Those are great cars, and the LS6 is a very worthy powerplant to go in one.

Last edited by Cal; 11-17-2003 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BEAUTIFUL CAR!

I really dont have alot of intut for you on the swap but just wanted to say you have a very sweet ride on your hands now. I have always been a fan of the pantera!
Old 11-17-2003, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Default ZF to Chevy

I found this place that seems to have a reputation for making hi-quality adapter bellhousings...
http://www.kennedyeng.com/other.htm

But this gives me another question:

Does the LS1/LS6 block have the same boltpattern as older Chevy V8's

I saw something about that on the Kennedy site:

3 diffrent:
Prior to 1986
After 1986
and LS1/LS6

Example: So you can't use a TH-350/TH-400 on a LS1/LS6 without adapting it ?

Cheers!
Jonas, Sweden
Old 11-17-2003, 02:29 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes and no. Some of the bolt holes line up, but not all. I've heard there are enough common bolt holes that it will work. There are several people running a TH350 or TH400 behind an LS1 without an adapter.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:56 PM
ms4
Teching In

SoulCollector,

NICE car.

1) why on earth do you want an LS1 in a pantera?

2) I would probably go to PI motorsports and ask some questions about mating chevy engines to the ZF. I swear I saw a car for sale on their website that had a chevy 454 in it.
www.pim.net

3) why on earth do you want an LS1 in the pantera?

If you want fuel injection, there is a company (Coast High Performance sells them) that makes a 351c manifold that's setup with direct port injection. grab a 5.0 wiring harness. Infact, I'm sure you can get the whole kit very easily. Slap it into your car and you're done. If you want to warm over the engine, there are plenty of go fast parts out there that will turn your engine into a streetable terror.

I can see a coolness factor in putting an LS1 into a pantera, but in all honesty... I don't see where the LS1 gains you anything other than maybe a small weight advantage. I did a quick search and found a reference that states an LS1 long block weighs just shy of 400lbs, a 351C long block weighs 500lbs. for $1500 you can get a set of aluminum heads for the cleveland, and you've just narrowed the LS1's weight advantage to 50lbs. Woopdy-doo.

just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: LS6 in a 1972 DeTomaso Pantera?