Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the limits of the LS1, and will they ever be reached??

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 09:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the limits of the LS1, and will they ever be reached??

(Please Keep in mind this engine only has to survive one pass at the drag strip)

P.S. I wasn't sure what forum to post this in as it really pertains to a few of them so i figured it was most releavant in here..please forgive me if i am wrong...

Okay now down to business....

This might have been asked before, and this might be a stupid question... but after surfing around here for a few months and checking out all of the awesome setups, I have to wonder..what are the limits of the ls1??

Take an LS1, put into a 3000lb car (70 Trans Am gutted down)(I just like that car ) and you were to use the C5R block and bore and stroke the engine to its capacity...(could it be bored and stroked to over 500ci?600ci? What is the maximum that it could be bored/stroked to? (Just for arguments sake..say it is 452ci)

So now take your bored and stroked 452ci C5R based LS1 and add all forged internals..top of the line stuff...mix and match eall different kits/parts to get the best of everything...

So now take your bored and stroked 452CI C5R based LS1 and slap a the best intake that money can buy..maybe the new FAST intake, or that really cool sheetmetal one...now take that and add a set of 50lb/hr injectors into it..along with some Stage III or possibly Stage IV(Cartek) heads and add the best possible cam you can get to it...along with hotter plugs, wires water pump, and all bolt ons and accessories...

Now take your b/s 452ci c5r based ls1 with stage IV heads..huge cam...new intake..and slap a 300 or 400 shot of nitrious ont it...(or can you go bigger)

Now take your No2'ed 452 with all the goodies and slap on a set of twin turbos and turn up the boost to 25psior higher..what you are looking at is an engine with ATLEAST 1200rwhp...in a 3000lb car...what would it run in the quarter mile? my calculator says...7.9@172

Basically you get what i am trying to say...if you took the best of the best of the best of all worlds and threw them onto one ls1..in a street car..what kind of ET's are possible...6's?7's?

I know what your going to say...what i am saying in one sentence contradicts what is being said in another...like the cam part..i know that you could probably have a better cam for nitrous than for FI and visa versa, but just for arguments sake say you came to a happy medium wiht cams and other things..

Just have fun with it and let me know what you think...Do you think an LS1 will ever break into the 7's? 6's?

Last edited by Ralph L; 11-24-2003 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All you need to do is have a titanium block cast then use a crank made from criptonite and pistons made from moon rocks. Then call Donavon and ask them for a set of their top secret LS series heads and then weld them onto the block. The reason for the welding is because we are using four turbos and a seven stage nitrous system and if is not welded then the heads will lift at full boost (now if there are any spots you cant get to so you can weld it then use a small bit of RTV silicone.)

As far as the cam we are going to back in time and have a Schaller Quarter Speed Cam ground (really did exist) so we can reduce spring pressure and reduce friction. We will have Schebuck style lifters and use no water or oil because the ceramic oil impregnated bearings do not require it. I say the power should break at least 235 hp or just enough to embarrass a new Mustang GT.

Now please pass the crack pipe.

Old 11-24-2003, 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

470ci+ is possible but bigger isn't always better. There comes a point of diminishing returns in regard to rod/stroke ratio.

25 psi + a 300 to 400 HP shot of nitrous sounds like a big to me.

~1200 RWHP has already been done. I think ARE did that with a nitrous 427ci engine.

7s are possible in a full chassis car. 6s are possible in a tube chassis car. 8s are possible NA in a full chassis car (this is the goal of my C5R powered '00.)
Old 11-24-2003, 10:03 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you might get more power by mixing your own fuel from 90% nitromethane and 10% methanol. Then figure out how to convert your LS1 from a 4 cycle engine to a 2 cycle. 4 cycle engines only fire on half the piston downstrokes; with 2 cycles you get a power stroke every time the piston goes down, so you get almost twice the power from the same displacement.

Last edited by Cal; 11-24-2003 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ 4 cycles typically have better power under the curve though. Due to the inefficient evacuation of exhaust gas and filling of combustion gas in a 2 cycle engine, they have very narrow and peaky powerbands. That's why 4 stroke dirtbikes are becoming much more popular and winning races. More power under the curve makes them easier to drive fast and accelerate more smoothly.

On topic though, the limitations of the LS1 engine are for the most part limited by your wallet.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

"That's why 4 stroke dirtbikes are becoming much more popular and winning races."

Ya think that might also have a little to do with the 4 strokes having almost twice the displacement? Try racing a 250cc 4 stroke against 250cc 2 strokes and let me know how it works out for you.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:51 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jRaskell
^ 4 cycles typically have better power under the curve though. Due to the inefficient evacuation of exhaust gas and filling of combustion gas in a 2 cycle engine, they have very narrow and peaky powerbands. That's why 4 stroke dirtbikes are becoming much more popular and winning races. More power under the curve makes them easier to drive fast and accelerate more smoothly.
There is some truth in what you say, although I think California and their crack down on 2 strokes for emissions reasons has more to do with the popularity of 4 stroke bikes. A liquid cooled 2 stroke with an exhaust control valve isn't peaky at all. A lot has been done to improve the powerband of 2 strokes since the '70s. But I'm afraid they will go the way of the Mazda rotorary engine into extinction at the hands of the smog lords.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

someone needs to build a big C5R motor with the biggest turbo possible for that motor, with a tube chassis and glass body
and see how they compare with those Pro 5.0 guys
that would definetely draw a CROWD
Old 11-25-2003, 02:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Chevy needs theyre own version of pro 5.0 racing. GM needs to support thier racers like ford does with the fun ford weekends and so on. GM needs a more extensive catalog with parts for current model cars. If GM followed ford in customer/racer support, theyre would still be something fast and cheaper than a vette.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

o yea, pass the crack pipe.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:02 AM
Launching!

When you go over about a 427, the rod/stroke ratio becomes unliveable. The largest you can currently make an LS motor is about 450 CI. This is the limit given the sleeves and cranks that fit and actually turn (even after clearance).

The idea of slapping on a big 'ol nitrous shot is limited by the crappy four-bolt-per-cylinder head. Over a certain BMEP, you're going to lift the head. AFR's new heads with the thicker deck will be interesting.

Having said all that, sure it will break into the 6's or 7's; in a really light car. Like a rail...

Given time, and aftermarket parts, we'll get there.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:45 AM
11 Second Club

ls1 nitrometh car...... yummy
Old 11-25-2003, 05:42 AM
11 Second Club

i would love to see an ls1 in a tube chassis car! the import guys are doing it....why cant we!

if i only had the money!
Old 11-25-2003, 11:17 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jaberwaki
ls1 nitrometh car...... yummy
Yep, hot fuel, that's the easy way to do it!