Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valtrain help. Lifter has bled down. How to set lash?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Valtrain help. Lifter has bled down. How to set lash?

Setup is ETP heads, Crower adjustable rocker arms(made to be used with ETP heads) Morel lifters, Smith Brothers 7.9" pushrods. The lifters were soaking in oil for about 2 weeks before they were installed in the motor so I am not sure why one of them has bled down. We first did the rocker arms for cylinder 1. Set the pushrod at zero lash + a slight turn for the preload. We turn the motor over and start on the next cylinder. After we setup the next cylinder, we touched the rocker arms on cylinder 1 that we previously did and the rockers have ALOT of play in them. It is like the lifters have fully bled down. If we start the motor up like this, I am afraid that the pushrods might be bouncing around everwhere and cause damage until the lifter pumps up. What do you guys suggest I do?

Last edited by Jimmy P; 08-31-2009 at 02:52 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Soaking the Morel's in oil likely didn't fill them. Morel uses a grease internally that must heat up before it washes out to let oil in.

I had a hard time adjusting my rockers when the Morels were new as the plunger would easily move when you push on the rocker or pushrod. I ended up doing it the old SBC method turning the motor over and adjusting the intake when exhaust was open and exhaust when intake was open. You have to gently feel for zero lash by lifting the rocker and listening for a tick until the tick just disappears and then rotate the adjustment nut the prescribed amount and move on. I used a Sharpie to mark those that were adjusted so I knew which were done and which were not. It will be noisy when it starts and will make noise for several minutes.

A "slight turn" may not enough preload for these lifters. You are shooting for 0.030"-0.050" unless they are the newer ones that act like solids.