Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

almost time or a rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default almost time or a rebuild

this car is not going to be a race car. it is a daily driven car.
but i do want it to stand up to abuse and the occasional shot of giggle gas. 200 shot is likely
i would like to keep the stock crank, i hear they are pretty stout from the get go.

What rods/pistons should i go with? probably go with some good heads, unsure of which ones tho. a nice streetable cam that has a great torque/power curve for everyday street bashing. for the moment i will likely stick with my stock ls1 heads/intake unless a GREAT deal comes my way,

really would like to stay around 3K for the entire build if thats at all reasonable. i will pull/install the motor myself to save some money. I have a few pals that have built plenty of motors so thats no big deal.please dont post if your gonna tell me to go wild with an insane build.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no one has any suggestions for the bottom end? is this a heads/cam subforum?
Old 09-05-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

you could go with just about any forged assembly. A eagle or scat will be some of the most cost efffective. Lunati and Callies cost more but them seem to be a little stronger. For what your doing the eagle should be okay though.

As far a pistons some wiescos should bo fine just get them gapped for the shot your are using.

Expect to pay about 1k for the rods and pistons, and you could get some cnc'd 243 or 5.3's for about 1200, and the left over money will go real quick in gaskets bolts and the other little stuff.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so $3K might be cutting it thin then?

also, is the stock crank shaft not worth keeping for what i'm wanting?