Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's Running Patriot 5.3's

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who's Running Patriot 5.3's

Is anybody running Patriots 5.3 stage two heads? What kind of numbers are you putting down and how do you like them? The package from TSP, heads, cam and pushrods is $1675, the ls6 style package is $2150, do you guys think the ls6 style heads are that much better to justify $500 more.
Old 12-07-2003, 03:39 PM
TECH Regular

i have the patriot 5.3 and i just put down 400rwhp and 427rwtq.... It also made 525 rwhp on a 100 shot...I went to the track friday night and went 10.44 on a 150 shot with no traction at all...I think the car might run better on a 100 shot because the tranny wasnt liking the 150 shot at all... Best motor pass before i got tuned was a 11.21 at 120. If you are looking to squeeze every last horsepower out of our combo go with the ls6 heads but if you are on a budget go with the 5.3s...Im happy with the gains from the 5.3s myself
Old 12-07-2003, 03:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on your personal financial limitations and how far you want to take your car. If you want a 400-430rwhp car, then the 5.3s should be fine. If you want a 430+ rwhp car, and plan on extensive mods, then the $500 is worthwhile for the following reasons. If you get to a point where you are at, say 420rwhp, with heads, cam, and most to all of the boltons. At this point, every rwhp is increasingly harder to come by, because all of the easy stuff is already done. If you are at 420 with the above mods, you can increase your cam size until you max out at ~430 or so, then you're maxed out. If you have the "LS6" heads, the "ceiling" is higher. These heads have reached 450+ rwhp.

I hope this makes sense, it is hard to explain what I'm trying to say. I guess the bottom line is, assuming that the "LS6" heads are worth 10-15rwhp more than the 5.3s, at 400+ rwhp, 10-15rwhp for $500 is a bargain.

Good luck, Shawn
Old 12-07-2003, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would like to hit 440rwhp with whatever combo i decide to go with, the car is an M6 and will have all the boltons, and i am leaning towards either a TR236, TSP 231/237, or a G5X? cam. I have seen some other vendors 5.3 heads hit the 440rwhp mark and i think it would be doable with the mods i am going to throw at it. I mean for the price of the package, or just the heads alone it just seems like a killer deal to me. Hey JPJBC nice numbers you have there. Spanky i am also considering Absolutes 5.3 head as well what do you think the advantages of these heads are over the PP heads are?
Old 12-07-2003, 04:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by HOTROD98Z
Spanky i am also considering Absolutes 5.3 head as well what do you think the advantages of these heads are over the PP heads are?
Each head porter does different things and has different theories. The reason I personally chose AS heads were they were ported to match a certain camshaft profile if not its specs directly. Jay worked with Lou at LG to come up with a "package" that would compliment each other. (A set of AS heads and a G5X3 has dynoed 470 in an M6 car, another set of AS heads and G5X3 dynoed 444 in an unlocked 4L60E, so thats proof that the "combo" works.

My only concern about CNC heads, is that there are certain cams that will shine with a "standard, one size/shape fits all" CNC head, and other cams that will not work as well, and, although that is probably true of all heads, a hand-ported head can be "adjusted" for different needs. (I'll use TEA heads for an example of CNC ported heads, because there are more examples of those due to their time on the market. Some cars produce 450+ rwhp with cam "A", "B", and "C", and others can't break 400 with cam "D", and "E". Why? TEA heads are CNC ported, so the quality/porting is the same from head to head as they are with the Patriot heads). That is proof to me that the CNC port programs can favor/benefit/compliment certain cam specs.

Also, I have found that Jay at AS is constantly changing things (matter of fact, my new, uninstalled heads are on their way back to AS to be upgraded already). That being said, if I were to go with a head other than AS, it would be Patriot. His products have proven excellent, and his customer service is proving to be awesome.

I don't think there are any "advantages" so to speak, just different....

Shawn
Old 12-07-2003, 04:40 PM
11 Second Club

I ran the PP 5.3 heads with a TR220 cam for a while and loved that setup. It made 416rwhp 392rwtq with STOCK tuning! I've since stepped up to the LS6 style heads and 231/237 cam. The new combo pulls LOADS harder than the old one, but I'm sure alot of it has to do with the cam. I really think you'll be within 10 to 15 rwhp between the 5.3 and LS6 style heads. I just wanted the small combustion chambers without milling the heads any, that's the main reason I went with the LS6 style this last time.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Hey, Gomer, what gains did you see between the "old" LS6 heads, and the "new" LS6 heads? Any new dyno numbers, yet?

Thanks, Shawn
Old 12-07-2003, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the replies guys, for the money it definately looks like the PP 5.3's are hard to beat but AS heads are definately putting up great numbers as well for a very reasonable price, so many decisions.

Hey, Gomer, what gains did you see between the "old" LS6 heads, and the "new" LS6 heads? Any new dyno numbers, yet?

I would like to know this as well.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SPANKY LS1

Thanks, Shawn

I'm going to try to dyno Friday the 12th. I've been having O2 sensor woes since getting the car back together. I think I've gotten everything fixed now. The butt-o-meter says that the new heads will make a good bit more midrange over the older style heads and probably a few hp at the peak too. I also swapped from 918 springs to the new patriot golden duals.