85mm MAF
Lid
LS6 Intake
Long Tubes
Y-Pipe
4.11's
Stock 10 Bolt
Tune

I'm starting to plan my H/C attack on the car but I don't really know a thing about them. Especially the heads. I want my car to mostly be a street machine that makes a couple of trips a year to the track and thats really it. People have been telling me that a 228 cam is a good idea because it is under the power curve but I don't know anything about the specs.

Also, what are some good optoions for heads. Are there other LS heads that I can bolt on that will give me good power? Or what other routes would be good?

Thanks in advance for some advice!
Old 11-08-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you might want to try the search feature 1st.Im sure you will find alot of infos. there.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Futral Motorsports' F-11 cam and a set of Trick Flow 215's or AFR 205's would be a sick combo. Cam specs are 228/230 .576/.595
Old 11-09-2009, 12:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Depends on your budget and other things too...

I say do it once, do it good;

-What mileage you have?.. if a good amount, I would take the occasion to replace lifters and lifters tray for LS2 style trays while heads off. I would throw new rockers too(or Harland rebuilt stockers).

-For the heads, its all about budget. Honestly, one sponsor here seems to have very nice results and a good compromise for the $$$ and that delivers; Livernois motorsport. Of course there are plenty of others, but I think their results are stellar, in most case. You can get stage 1-2-3 243s for a very competitive price.

Other companies that offer killer price are PRC heads and Patriot. I would lean towards 243 casting though.

Then you have the aftermarket casting; Trickflows(TFS), AFR, Dart, WWCH and the new PRC casting(I dont know every brands by the way..). You have the choice for size of the runner and other options. One good deal seems to be the TFS that Vengeance Racing offers for 1679$...Adavantage of aftermarket are thicker deck for better head gasket clamping, you can run bigger cam with em without fly cutting because the valve angle is different and also you can get bigger valves than with stock. Be prepare to pay around 2000+$ for aftermarket casting but its worth every penny(even if I dont have this kind of money to spare on heads).

I would get the heads milled down to get a better CR to squeeze out more outta your combo.

Dont forget the full tune.

228R is a very good choice for your application and drivin manners plus it would dive directly into the LS6 intake powerband. Specs are 228/228 588/588.

Still you could go a tad bigger since youre M6 and 4:10 without beeing annoying on the streets. Plus they say its all in the tune. some plp are daily driving cams like 239/242 but its a bit hardcore. I would go in the 230ish duration. I bought a Torquer V3(231/231 643/598) for my next mod..

Of course you need a spring kit to match your combo.

You have some nice shopping to do, be wise and talk to competent plp, like the sponsors here. By the way I dealt with TTP for all my N/A tuning and nitrous and those guys are awesome if your in the NJ/NY area.

Good luck!

forgot about timing chain and oil pump; get at least LS2 set and a ported oil pump!!!

Last edited by Johnnystock; 11-09-2009 at 12:33 AM.