Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Galled cam gear on LQ9.....WTF???

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Galled cam gear on LQ9.....WTF???

I am getting my LQ9 ready for my Z and when I was taking things appart I noticed that the cam gear was galled (had some rings ground in the back where it toched the cam retainer plate) Retainer plate had the same issue.....
what would have caused that? This was a bone stock Lq9 out of an 06 escalade with 45k. It also looks like it has the LS2 cam gear with the set up for the cam sensor up front (no sensor on the cover, just has the gear). Comparing the timing chain to the stock 00 ls1 chain, the lq9 chain is thicker.... did 06's get the ls2 chain?
Old 12-06-2009, 12:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

This is not the normal polished ring wear, this is circular grooves in the gear and plate like there was a bur or something on the gear or something that was trapped in there and chewed stuff up..... I am hoping it is not an oiling issue because I checked the rod bearings and they looked like new.
thanks
Old 12-06-2009, 12:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

It was bugging me so I went out side and pulled the cam plate to check the inside..... no wear at all. Just the gear and outside of the plate.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Known issue. Some motors seem to be worse then others. Vinci has something on their web site about this. You may want to find a timing set with a Torrington bearing on the cam gear. Cloyes was getting read to release one, not sure of the status of it though.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a roll master one from my old motor. I have to get a new chain and the pump spacers. I read about the wear issues, just didn't see any with galling, just polishing.
Originally Posted by vettenuts
Known issue. Some motors seem to be worse then others. Vinci has something on their web site about this. You may want to find a timing set with a Torrington bearing on the cam gear. Cloyes was getting read to release one, not sure of the status of it though.

Quick Reply: Galled cam gear on LQ9.....WTF???