Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Balancer Bolt, oil seal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 06:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balancer Bolt, oil seal?

ill keep this short since im sure you guys get main crank bolt problem questions all the time since it seems to be a common issue on these vehicles.

less than 24 hours ago i brought home an 02 Z06, beautifull car, drives amazing...i love this thing

this morning, about 12 hours after purchase... the main crank pulley bolt backed out and caused oil to spray everywhere under the hood.

thanks to this forum and z06vette.com i can see this is a common problem. and it sounds like it can be fixed without pulling the motor

Here are my questions:

1. The GM dealer i droped the car off with was dead set on pulling the motor and telling me thats the only way to get the pulley off.....this is incorrect and going way overboard right?

2. They want to just tighten the bolt back up, it needs a new bolt with loctite from what iv read and probably a new seal......right????

basicaly...im trying to figure out how deep in the hole i just got with my new cars little problem.....

thanks in advance guys...helluva first post i know
Old 12-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

IIRC , all you have to do id unbolt the steering rack and drop it down a tad bit to give enough clearance for the pulley to clear. ... if i were you i would deff do this myself. its a semi easy task and woudnt take more than a lazy evening.

so its spraying oil everywhere eh?. prolly just put a new seal in . put the pulley back on and a new bolt run it down with a big impact and you would be good to go.

but if i was you, id def get it out of the dealer before you get the shaft!!

do you still have the bolt?.... tighten it back down with a impact if you have acess to one and see if your problem is fixed. you may not need to go through this whole ordeal!

Last edited by daryn c; 12-23-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

1. Don't need to pull the engine to fix this.
2. Don't re-use a torque to yeild bolt or try to tighten it back up once it has backed out.
C5 corvette forum has all kinds of threads on this very problem.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...acked-off.html
The reading you have been doing is the right thing to do to get a feel to see if you want to do this yourself and to know if the dealer is out of line.
Good luck.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Find a new dealer. They are giving both bad and expensive advice. Shame on them.

You need a new bolt. Not sure on the mileage of your car, but you may want to consider a new balancer and timing cover seal since the balancer is out anyhow. No loctite required on the bolt if installed correctly. Loctite is a band-aid. If the balancer spun, the original interference fit may be compromised which is another reason to install a new unit.

Careful driving it now. When the C6 first came out, this was an issue and the pulley was cutting a hole in the steering rack after which PS fluid would spray out and then the car needed a re-paint. Find someone to fix it if you are not doing it yourself and then flat bed the car to the facility.