Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil cap keeps blowing out!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Oil cap keeps blowing out!

I have had a push-in style oil cap since last may. It wasn't until I swapped my intake manifold back in November that my oil cap will randomly blow out now. Would a simple breather intall fix this issue, or would there be another underlying problem that is causing this?

At first I just thought the change in temperature allowed the rubber grommet to shrink up and make it easier to blow out. But still, there shouldn't be that pressure building up. Again, all of this started happening after I changed my intake manifold, maybe I messed somethin up in the PCV on accident? Also, this will not happen under normal driving.....only under a WOT pull where I'm in it hard for a few seconds.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea you definitly messed something up with the pcv system. i put a breather on mine and never had any problems personally i would remove all that crap and go with a metco breather with one hose connecting the two valve covers IMO
Old 02-07-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would just run an open breather setup. ive been running one for a few months now and i no longer have the dreaded amount of oil in the intake tract anymore. the only difference in running an open breather setup is that you have to change the oil a little sooner since the oil is more exposed to the elements
Old 02-08-2010, 04:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by slayerized6
i would just run an open breather setup. ive been running one for a few months now and i no longer have the dreaded amount of oil in the intake tract anymore. the only difference in running an open breather setup is that you have to change the oil a little sooner since the oil is more exposed to the elements
I do a lot of car shows, and have heard of extreme cases wher the engine bay gets a nice fine mist of oil. Anyone run into that?

Last edited by kyles2000z; 02-08-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kyles2000z
I do a lot of car shows, and have heard of extreme cases wher the endinge bay gets a nice fine mist of oil. Anyone run into that?
if the engine and pcv are functioning properly you should have no mist
Old 02-08-2010, 10:54 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by dre2013
if the engine and pcv are functioning properly you should have no mist
He is blowing the oil cap off. Chances are if he puts a breather filter in the place of that cap he will be blowing oil all over the place. The pressure is not gonna go away if he puts a breather on it, it will just have somewhere to go.

OP: check your PCV hoses for proper routing/connection and try a new PCV valve.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

sounds like pcv valve, try one their cheap.

if that doeant work just put a breather on.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would stay away from breather setup, it works for some, but in your case, I would research your PCV setup and make sure you have it right. There is a long and lengthy writeup about this somewhere on the boards. Also has a debate on breather vs enclosed PCV system.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

Yea, I just absouletly hate taking thiese intakes off....doesn't take long but it's not my favorite thing to do. I'm guessing a damaged soemthing when I was installed the LS6 intake manifold, because it never started until I did that.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

There has to be pressure in the crankcase to blow the cap off. There is supposed to be air flow in the system not pressure. Air is supposed to come into Bank2 rocker cover via a hose that is connected to a bung on the intake plenum somewhere between the air filter and the throttlebody. The air flows down into the crankcase and out Bank1 through the PCV valve assisted by intake vacuum on the way to the manifold. This is a loop system the air flows through. If the PCV valve or hose on Bank1(output side) is blocked pressure would build up in the oil pan and at WOT could blow the cap since the pressure is looking for a way to escape. Seems like a lot of blowby. Have you done a compression or leak down?
Old 02-08-2010, 08:05 PM
TECH Addict

No I haven't ran any of those tests. Are you saying that there may be a blockage or kink in the hose or valve somewhere (could've possibly happened during intake swap)....which is an easy fix......or it may be something more serious that is causing the blow by and all the crap that goes with that?

Again, I've ran my car WOT many times, and this stuff never happened prior to the intake swap.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:52 PM
Staging Lane

yea either way you look at it there is obviously to much blow by going on. i would check for the kinked hoses and do a compression test and see where your at. BTW i run a breather and i love it it looks better and clears up engine bay alot
Old 02-09-2010, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Will do, I'll post what I found out. Thanks guys...
Old 02-09-2010, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

It takes pressure to blow that cap off. Sometimes the oil dipstick gets blow out. Either way there is too much pressure(F.I. or blowby). The build up of pressure has to be relieved(out the PCV valve assisted by engine vacuum) or somethings has to give(cap or dipstick). If the hose is kinked or clogged or the PCV valve is plugged shut the pressure can't get out through the intake manifold so it looks for the next easiest way to escape.

Quick Reply: Oil cap keeps blowing out!