Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which would you choose?
F14
0%
Torquer
50.00%
Keep current
0%
MS3
50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Valve spring max lift? To much coil bind?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 11:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Valve spring max lift? To much coil bind?

So i was wondering? Im wanting to cam swap and already have new comp 918s.

Comp 918s for example say there good to .600 lift. so you can run a cam up to that amount of lift. Whay couldnt you run say a cam like the MS3 on those springs?

its only .603 .609 lift.
Am i correct in thinking there will be to much coil bind? So in turn the sping couldnt fully control the valve? there for weakin the strentgh and life span of the spring, as well as put more stress on the valve train?

I wasnt sure if guys had done it and gotten by, or if no one in the world has ever done it before.

What are your guys thoughts and recommendations on this?

Thanks!
Chad

Last edited by NAVY99B4C; 02-22-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:36 PM
Teching In

the reason you would want to invest in springs that are rated at higher than you cam specs is because you could have coil bind which can cause bent pushrods,valves,scored valve guides and soo on. the other reason is valve float in high rpm if you are not familliar with it it is when your springs do not close you valves at the speed of your engine and your piston will shut the valve for you.
a good idea is check the cam specs and take you springs to a machine shop and have them see if your springs will do the job.

you could control when you peak hp comes in by advancing or retarding you cam
Old 02-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Launching!

just call tsp im sure they would be glad to help you.

One thing you must look at is not necessary just coil bind, if you are running a cam with real fast ramp rates and you want a lot of seat pressure to keep valve float under controll.

Some guys have pretty good luck with those springs set up correctly, not necessarily with that cam though, im not sure. I know if it was my car I would just go with stiffer springs with a MS3 just to be on the safe side.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sell the 918s get some PAC 1518 from TSP,grate price .
Old 02-21-2010, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You cannot use rated lift or the 1.800" numbers, they are only guidelines. You need to find out what the seat force requirements are for the cam then figure out what installed height is used to obtain the correct seat value. Once you have those, then you can figure out how much lift the springs will take installed at the required height. You are working this backwards.

Quick Reply: Valve spring max lift? To much coil bind?