Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with spring seats????

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default need help with spring seats????

My new hardened spring seats have the same inside diameter of a retainer. Is this right? I've pulled off the valve seal and pulled out my old seat to put on the new one but it won't slide over the valve guide, it's way smaller than the original seat. Am I missing something? The new ones are the direct replacement Crane hardened seats. I called TSP and they said they remembered my order and doubled checked the parts before they shipped them to me and that everything was correct. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Jeffrey
Old 12-29-2003, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

TTT...anyone have any ideas...
Old 12-29-2003, 01:06 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The crane lower spring seats are made for the stock diameter valve guide. If your guides have been replaced I could see them not fitting. Terry at Patriot may have some seats that will fit, since I know he has had some made for his bronze valve guides.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

The guides are still factory. I really think I have two sets of retainers and no seats. But TSP swears they remember specifically packaging my parts and double checking that I had one set of Ti retainers and one set of crane seats. Can you tell me if the inner diameter of the spring seat hole is supposed to be the same as the inner diameter of a retainer, because they are! And I don't see how that could possibly work! Thanks for the help.

Jeffrey
Old 12-29-2003, 01:55 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They shouldn't look the same, the crane seats are black in color and the spring retainers are Titanium, I just installed a set. The inside diameter of the seats should be .500" with no taper and .048" thick with 2 steps, while the retainer will be .400 at the smallest point and .460" at the largest point where the keepers would be. The retainer will have 3 steps since one of the steps is machined for the keepers. If you didn't get the lower spring seats call and I'll have Brian ship them off today.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Big thanks to the guys at TSP! We got everything straightened out and they next day aired my parts out yesterday and they just arrived a few minutes ago. Great customer service. I'll box those other retainers up and send them back to you guys this week. Thanks again!

Jeffrey