Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a build oil pressure before starting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default a build oil pressure before starting?

I'm going to start driving my 99 TA less during the week and make it more of a show car or weekend driver. One thing I don't like is when the car's been sitting for a little bit the engine runs a bit before oil pressure builds. Is there any product or mod that can be done to prime the engine before starting it?

I store it during the winter and in the spring I pull the fuse for the fuel pump and just crank it every few seconds till there is pressure. Thats fine once a year but doing that on a weekly basis I can't imagine my starter will last long.

Thanks all.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

Thats why you want an oil that leaves a good coating behind. If it does that then you can turn it on 2ice a week, once like a Wed and then again on the day that you take it out.

When I would get deployed my wife would turn the car on once or twice a week and drive it 2ice a month never had issues at all.

Amsoil, redline, rotella Castrol edge mobile 1 etc very good oils.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, thanks for your service to our country.

Second, I'm kind of on the fence about that. Is two cold starts a week better then one? Who really knows, I'm sure that debate could go on for a long time. I only run Mobile1 in the car. My plan is to hopefully pass this car on to my kids some day and considering the oldest is 5 I want to take care of the car as best I can.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Run a 0 weight first # oil. It will circulate through the engine quicker at start up. I am partial to 0w-30 German Castrol....
Old 04-01-2010, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by brian.moritz
First off, thanks for your service to our country.

Second, I'm kind of on the fence about that. Is two cold starts a week better then one? Who really knows, I'm sure that debate could go on for a long time. I only run Mobile1 in the car. My plan is to hopefully pass this car on to my kids some day and considering the oldest is 5 I want to take care of the car as best I can.
Thanks

Sombitch makes a good point also of using a 0 weight oil like German Castrol 0W30 but like you said the debate on how many cold starts its up in the air. Good Luck with the car.