Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

opinions- sell the spray and go with heads??

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default opinions- sell the spray and go with heads??

What do you guys think- I've got a 150 NX wet kit sitting in the garage waiting to be installed, but with all the extra junk needed for a good install (heater, purge, press safety switch, gages, window switch etc etc etc) I will be damn close to the $$ of patriot stage II's.

When I emailed Larry at Speed Inc. he was very helpful and (I think) conservative about the gains I'd see with the patriots. He said I should see about 30 RWHP from the patriots. (My car is an A4, LS6 intake Comp 224/224 .581 112 LSA, hooker longtubes, 3" Y into single 3.5" dump- dynoed 375 RWHP 380 RWTQ unlocked).

I'd eventaully like to run a 10 second ET with the car, so heads may be a foregone conclusion, but that kind of jing for 30 RWHP seems like a lot.

Should I ditch the spray & go with heads, keep the spray, or just save up and eventually have both? Is there another reasonably priced head out there that will put me at 430+ RWHP (I know that ain't gonna push my fat *** to 10's, but with weight reduction and some other tricks on a good chassis s/u I'd be pretty friggin close).
Old 01-05-2004, 04:40 PM
11 Second Club

I was in your same position, I wanted some extra power and nitrous seemed like it was the best choice. I bought a TNT F1 kit for the 98 A4 car I had and it was loads of fun, BUT the fun was over when the bottle was empty or when someone came up beside me when I didn't have the bottle in the car. Also, at $35 a bottle, it started adding up. So, when I sold the 98 and got the 2002 I didn't think twice about spending the money on a set of heads, heck the 5.3 stage II's are a killer deal and you don't even have to pay a core charge.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I stopped using nitrous for all the same reasons as gomer. I intalled a nice set of heads and a good cam. I will be putting some nitrous on top of that.

Make sure you add up the extra costs for the H/C swap: tunning - gaskets - bolts - etc.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just save up and get both eventually.