Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advice on an engine...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Need some advice on an engine...

OK, My original plan for my car was to do all the bolt ons, & then save up for a fully built long block to handle nitrous. I went to an lsx car meet & someone with expierence said to just do heads & cam and a little spray. They said it would hold up with the stock short block. They said it would be a waste of money & labor to replace the whole long block at once. The way I look at it, If I do a nice heads & cam, & a little spray, and then break somthing in the shortblock, Ill have to take everything apart again & install a forged short block anyway, & pay for labor again. Im not made of money BTW, and like doing things once.
The engine is stock with 52K miles, Headers & fast intake are going on next. My goal is 600 rwhp with the spray, or what ever I can get out of 93 octane safely. What do you guys think I should do? Heads & cam, or wait for a long block?
Old 05-01-2010, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would do head/cam. get a good tune, no need to replace the short block if it ant broke! just my 2 cents good luck!
Old 05-01-2010, 08:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by THE LAST Z
OK, My original plan for my car was to do all the bolt ons, & then save up for a fully built long block to handle nitrous. I went to an lsx car meet & someone with expierence said to just do heads & cam and a little spray. They said it would hold up with the stock short block. They said it would be a waste of money & labor to replace the whole long block at once. The way I look at it, If I do a nice heads & cam, & a little spray, and then break somthing in the shortblock, Ill have to take everything apart again & install a forged short block anyway, & pay for labor again. Im not made of money BTW, and like doing things once.
The engine is stock with 52K miles, Headers & fast intake are going on next. My goal is 600 rwhp with the spray, or what ever I can get out of 93 octane safely. What do you guys think I should do? Heads & cam, or wait for a long block?
You will be fine on your stock block. The right head/cam combo should make anywhere from 440-470rwhp depending on what you choose. Then throw alittle spray and you're good to go. I'm not sure if I'd hit it with a 150 shot AND heads/cam. I know a few people around here who were cam only and hit it with 200 shot and they didnt' last too long. (one that I can recall was t-rex cam, 200 shot, 620whp...bye bye motor, not sure if it was running correctly though on the nitrous). If it was me I'd do H/C/I and maybe a 75 or 100 shot for giggles. But that's just me.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So, Its either heads, cam, & no spray, or heads, cam, & little spray and hopefully the thing wont break. If it does, then I would have to buy a forged short block & do it all over again, & thats where my dilema is.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Teching In

I just did heads, cam and a converter on a stock bottom end, the change is incredible! I am also going to spray a 100 shot to it. But not until its in second. You are most likely to break your trans or rear end on spray if your not trying to push more than 100 with it. Stock bottom ends are really strong. You will be surprised how fast you can go on a stock bottom end.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1MUNN
I just did heads, cam and a converter on a stock bottom end, the change is incredible! I am also going to spray a 100 shot to it. But not until its in second. You are most likely to break your trans or rear end on spray if your not trying to push more than 100 with it. Stock bottom ends are really strong. You will be surprised how fast you can go on a stock bottom end.
I guess youre right. I have a ford 9" & stock trans with a 3600 stall. Having the heads & cam for a while will give me enough time to save for a short block I guess...