Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! what to do, oil pump, cam, rockers, my brain is fried

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! what to do, oil pump, cam, rockers, my brain is fried

I have been browsing forums for over a week, and i'm sure my answers are here, but in many pieces. i'm just overloaded on info and some of the posts are fairly old.

It started when i took my 98 WS6 65,000 ish miles, out of winter storage, warmed it up and changed the oil and found needle bearings. ok no biggie change them. well as i start my research i find issues with them and also the oil pumps. plan on doing the trunion conversion kit. have them out and ready to ship. OK now heres where i need help. usually the wife drives this car and she mentions to me that the oil pressure seemed low last year she said idles around 20 psi, maybe 40 when she was going down the road. she didn't think much of it until i statrted talking about the issues these motors have recently. i didn't drive it last summer being i have so many other toys, and this one has basically been hers. and i was to stupid to really pay attn to the oil pressure when i started it this year. turned the key seen it rise and got out till warm.
So is 20 psi at an idle to low?
seems like it should be 40 but i can't check it now. if it was that low it may have contribitued to the rockers failing. so i probably need to change the oil pump and if i do that i might as well do a cam. i always wanted to mod the car so i'm gonna do it now.
so if i put the rockers in and the pumps weak they will have to come out to do the cam anyways so i'm thinkin oil pump for sure. is the blueprinted oil pump good enuff? i don't think u need the high volume. What about the timing chain is stock good or upgrade there?
I have been looking through the forums on all this stuff and am on information overload. How much rwhp is a safe amont to run with the A4? i will be doing headers and exhaust along with intake mods but first i wanna get the engine back together and running. Is this possible with a cam(fairly agressive cam) before the breathing mods? will it even run? will a handheld tuner help? how much cam can u run before u need a stall and tranny cooler? who or what company could i contact with these questions/advice or cam sales? or a good place to get some answers. I know asking for a cam recomendation is a complicated question and not easy to answer but any sugestions will help in my research. Thanks guys hope i don't look to dumb.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

don't buy a hand held tuner,wast of money.do a mail order tune by Frost when you finish upgrading.A stock A4 will handle about 400 hp ,but no hot lapping it at the strip,get a tranny cooler and a deep trans pan.a tr224 cam is a good street cam,decent power gain very streetable,works ok with a stock stall.get some compcam tronion upgrades for the rockers.you can talk to the guys at TSP for cam kits and gaskets.I would do all your changes at the same time,saves money on gaskets and tuning.get a ls6 intake and a ported TB also.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:11 PM

anybody runnin an A4? post something so i can take a look at your mods, times and HP. trying to collect as much info as possible.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

I have a tr224 for sale works great with a stock stall and pulls hard has a good sound as well.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:39 PM

I'm actually considering that cam, can u send me more info, complete specs and story? how much? what did you change to run it springs? pushrods? i assume
Old 05-03-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do anything with the rockers, I'd just do the Comp/Harland Sharp trunion bearing upgrade. It's tough to beat the stock rockers performance-wise, so I'd just beef them up to make them more reliable.