Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure - changed sender weird reading?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Oil pressure - changed sender weird reading?

I changed out my oil pressure sender yesterday to a new Delco part. Fired up the engine and the gauge was pegged to the right, which, if correct would have meant I had massive oil pressure even at idle.

I replaced the sender because I was getting no reading previously (i.e. 0 oil pressure). However, I had diagnosed that problem as relating to damage from the intake install, the oil sender was twisted and broken.

I'm *fairly* confident that I'm getting oil pressure and that this is a gauge/sensor problem rather than a mechanical issue with the oil pump.

Anyone had this happen before - and any ideas on how to fix? I want to get a reliable oil pressure reading.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

There isnt an accurate reading using a factory gauge. I replaced my sender with an Orielly piece and it reads low all the time. I verified actual oil pressure with a mechanical gauge so I dont even worry with the exact number that the dash shows.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yea when mine gets hot it bounces up and down between 40 and 42...so as long as it is up there, u r fine. usually when it is all the way to the end, your sending unit is broken or not pluged in
Old 05-10-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So I've played with it a little more... oil pressure gauge remains pegged to the right, even when I disconnect the sensor - and its a brand new sensor. Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 05-10-2010, 08:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

faulty gauge???.....All your other gauges functioning correctly??
Old 05-10-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
faulty gauge???.....All your other gauges functioning correctly??
Yes, all other gauges are working properly. It's crazy, I got the 1 wire sensor and it plugs into the harness just fine.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
usually when it is all the way to the end, your sending unit is broken or not pluged in
I think this is right. Seems like open circuit is pegged to the right. If you short it I think it pegs to the left. I would inspect that wire closely and trace if back a bit. See if there is a break in it somewhere, got pinched or something.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by massls1guy
I think this is right. Seems like open circuit is pegged to the right. If you short it I think it pegs to the left. I would inspect that wire closely and trace if back a bit. See if there is a break in it somewhere, got pinched or something.
Thanks, will do.

And I'll take this opportunity to vent for the thousandth time about how difficult it is to work under the hood on these f-bodies.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by General Jack
Thanks, will do.

And I'll take this opportunity to vent for the thousandth time about how difficult it is to work under the hood on these f-bodies.
I took some snips and cut the razor sharp points off those plastic things that stick down from under the cowl. Makes it a little easier to reach back under there.