Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFR 205, Trickflow 215, Edelbrock 215, or LQ9?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFR 205, Trickflow 215, Edelbrock 215, or LQ9?

I am just looking for some opinions on which head to go with? I know another "which head is best" thread.

But unfortunately a search comes up with more data than I can handle and not much in the name of definitive answers. I am about to do a heads and cam job for my LS1 corvette. The above heads have been mentioned as an option. My driving style is mainly weekends, on the street with spirited canyon carving. I want street drivability, and the cam will be a custom ground 224/224 .59x/.59x 114 LSA.

The AFR's have a good history and a CARB number. Trickflows have some impressive flow numbers but require roller rockers and have no CARB number. Edelberock (WCCH CNC'd) excellent head, but no CARB number. LQ9's, I don't know that much about them.

All of your opinions are appreciated.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

chrs1313 has some slightly used TFS 215 for $1400.check the best heads for el-torro cam.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:08 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the quick reply, but my tuner will be getting the heads(new). I'm just looking for some talking points on which heads to go with.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a set of Darts and then upgraded to AFR's. I have been very happy with them. I also like the way they stand behind their product and the person who actually developed the head is on the forum and easily reached for questions.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

I am no expert but from what I have seen the Trick Flows are a little pricey and I haven't seen any knock your socks off real world #'s out of them, you can't go wrong with the AFR 205's nothing but good things across the board from them and plenty of dyno sheets to justify giving AFR your cash, but you should seriously take a look at http://flowtech induction there LXR-P1 (aka ETP) are looking to be a FANTASTIC head worth a serious look.

P.S. as far as I know the FTI / ETP's require L92/LS3 style rockers because of relocated valve stems, which may drive the cost up from the tried & tru AFR 205's
Old 05-15-2010, 09:15 PM
Teching In

Thanks 1fastkingcab, this is the kind of feedback I'm looking for.

Thanks also Vettenuts, You have always given good feedback (I've posted simular threads on CF.com).

Here's the situation. My tuner and I had decided on heads. But he had a falling out with the head supplier. So now we need to decide on some other head brands. I've always liked the things I've heard about AFR and the EO number is a big bonus. But because of the issues AFR had a few years ago, my tuner has avoided AFR. You see his reputation is his advertising and he doesn't want to install parts that have issues. With this recent falling out he's had now he's open to AFRs (and apparently AFR has resolved the issue). This could be good news for everyone. I hope this all works out, if not I may be going with Trickflows or Edelbrock's raw castings.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P.S. as far as I know the FTI / ETP's require L92/LS3 style rockers because of relocated valve stems, which may drive the cost up from the tried & tru AFR 205's[/QUOTE]

ETP heads can use any rocker that fits a stock head you just need to have the proper shims. Trickflow heads are the best heads out of the ones you listed.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:01 PM
TECH Junkie

What issues did AFR have years ago?
Old 05-16-2010, 01:18 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1fastkingcab
I am no expert but from what I have seen the Trick Flows are a little pricey and I haven't seen any knock your socks off real world #'s out of them, you can't go wrong with the AFR 205's nothing but good things across the board from them and plenty of dyno sheets to justify giving AFR your cash, but you should seriously take a look at http://flowtech induction there LXR-P1 (aka ETP) are looking to be a FANTASTIC head worth a serious look.

P.S. as far as I know the FTI / ETP's require L92/LS3 style rockers because of relocated valve stems, which may drive the cost up from the tried & tru AFR 205's

Seems as though folks are getting mixed up in dyno numbers again!! I have the TFS 215cnc heads and from what I know they are about the same price as the AFRs. They are both very good heads. My car is by no means a dyno queen, I made 447rwhp and 403rwtq with a stalled A4 stock bottom end strange 12 bolt with 4.11 gears Camaro. I have made several high 10 second passes on the motor. 10.99@122mph 1.49 60ft, 10.93@122 1.46 60ft and a 10.90@123mph 1.46 60ft. All of these passes were at different times of the year. Where the gap between the heads come into play as mentioned above is you should buy a set of after market rocker arms for the TFS heads (but not required) and the AFR doesn't say this. The AFRs use a 15* valve angle and the TFS use a 13* valve angle which allows you to go with a cam shaft that has more lift without fly cutting your pistons. Both of these heads are top notch without a doubt and I really don't think you'll be disappointed with either one. Another cheaper solution would be the TFS as cast 220 heads. Here is a good read, go to page 2 and read Brian Tooleys advice. He is the guy that designed the TFS heads so I would think he knows what he is talking about. Good luck with your build and hope this helps.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...-please-2.html

Last edited by odarabla; 05-16-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hirdlej
What issues did AFR have years ago?
The issue was that the valve stems weren't hardened correctly by the supplier. However, AFR stepped up and told everyone in an open forum that they had this issue and for all who had their heads to inspect them. Anyone who had the problem got them repaired by AFR and they were handled at the factory as a priority. Yes they had a problem, but they stepped up and got ahead of it and took care of their customers.

I guess I am of a different mind then your installer, this is one of the major reasons I went with AFR. How many vendors come in here publicly, announce they have an issue so guys don't do expensive damage to their cars by letting the parts go to complete failure, and then correct the problem for each customer?
Old 05-16-2010, 10:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by vettenuts
The issue was that the valve stems weren't hardened correctly by the supplier. However, AFR stepped up and told everyone in an open forum that they had this issue and for all who had their heads to inspect them. Anyone who had the problem got them repaired by AFR and they were handled at the factory as a priority. Yes they had a problem, but they stepped up and got ahead of it and took care of their customers.
I have heard the same thing about the valve issue. I know someone personally who had the problem. He called Tony Mamo and even though the heads were just over warrenty, AFR fixed the heads.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:00 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget about the PRC 215 heads also! They feature .675" springs, can use stock rockers, and offer smaller chambers without requiring lots of milling. Not to mention they're priced better than the competition!

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=993&catid=20

404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 05-16-2010, 12:38 PM
Teching In

Three years ago I had a problem with the tip of one valve in my AFR 205's. AFR stepped up to the plate and took care of me better than I ever could have hoped for. They covered shipping costs both ways, gaskets, etc... and the labour to R&R the heads. I couldn't be happier with how I was treated personally by Tony and AFR - I have thanked him for this and it is the reason why I am becoming a repeat AFR customer for my next project.

BTW - AFR 215's are now available too. Call Tony directly - he will look after you.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:48 PM
LS6
TECH Regular

nice thread
Old 05-16-2010, 02:54 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

If you have extra money for aftermarket rocker arms, go with the TFS215s, if not the AFR205s for sure!
Old 05-16-2010, 05:47 PM
TECH Resident

TFS 215's are the best PROVEN head for power and track times...been proven time and time again.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

This thread really comes down to the same thing as headers. If you have the money one of the top brands, if you are a budget buy budget heads. If you buy any of the heads talked about you are going to make good power and run well. They all have been on many cars and performed. You just have to decide which one you like and buy it. They are going to perform.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Silver408z
This thread really comes down to the same thing as headers. If you have the money one of the top brands, if you are a budget buy budget heads. If you buy any of the heads talked about you are going to make good power and run well. They all have been on many cars and performed. You just have to decide which one you like and buy it. They are going to perform.
With the possible exception of LQ9's none of these heads would be considered budget heads. I really don't know much about the LQ9s, other than they are from trucks but have the same port design as LS6 heads. The TFS 215 have some good flow numbers, but how are they at partial throttle. With my mild cam fly cutting the pistions isn't an issue so the 13.5 degree valve becomes more of a problem because it requires roller rocker arms if you want reliability. Edelbrock is reknown for their engineering and materials, but their raw castings do not have a CARB number. It all pointsd to AFR, if their package can satisfy my tuner, who is creating the whole package (he's built more engines than I have. It migth pay to listen to him...).
Old 05-19-2010, 11:57 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mister Will
I am just looking for some opinions on which head to go with? I know another "which head is best" thread.

But unfortunately a search comes up with more data than I can handle and not much in the name of definitive answers. I am about to do a heads and cam job for my LS1 corvette. The above heads have been mentioned as an option. My driving style is mainly weekends, on the street with spirited canyon carving. I want street drivability, and the cam will be a custom ground 224/224 .59x/.59x 114 LSA.

The AFR's have a good history and a CARB number. Trickflows have some impressive flow numbers but require roller rockers and have no CARB number. Edelberock (WCCH CNC'd) excellent head, but no CARB number. LQ9's, I don't know that much about them.

All of your opinions are appreciated.
Picking heads is a big decision. But do all the searching you can and look more for what times the heads will give you. Don't get hug up on flow numbers. Ask people that have the heads you mentioned and ask them what times they run at the track. Thats the real test on how a setup performs.
Even dyno numbers don't tell the whole story. Just some food for thought.
I'm in the same boat. I know what other parts i want once i mod my car, but i'm stuck on what heads to go with. Best wishes on your search. Just wanted to add, i almost bought AFR's then a buddy of mine to ask around and see how they run at the track. Cause you have good flow numbers and seem to dyno nice numbers, but he just wanted me to do all my homework. Best wishes.

Quick Reply: AFR 205, Trickflow 215, Edelbrock 215, or LQ9?