Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

costs of freshening up a set of heads

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default costs of freshening up a set of heads

I got a set of used 317 heads to use in my turbo build. Being that they're used, there's some carbon build up and dirt and what not (which I'm sure I can clean up myself). I was thinking about trying to find some light weight LS6 valves then having the valve seats cleaned up, and if they need it having them milled ever so lightly. Just a general going over and getting them ready for their new home.

I was wondering what kind of costs (not including the LS6 valves) I'd be looking at for the minor machining and clean up work? I found a brand new set of 317's for $300, so I'm just wondering if the costs of having these worked over to "like new" will exceed the cost of just buying the new set locally. I got a good deal on the used heads, so it'd take a couple hundred bucks of work before I'd even hit that $300 price for the new heads.

Hope that makes sense?
Old 06-28-2010, 09:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by evo462
I got a set of used 317 heads to use in my turbo build. Being that they're used, there's some carbon build up and dirt and what not (which I'm sure I can clean up myself). I was thinking about trying to find some light weight LS6 valves then having the valve seats cleaned up, and if they need it having them milled ever so lightly. Just a general going over and getting them ready for their new home.

I was wondering what kind of costs (not including the LS6 valves) I'd be looking at for the minor machining and clean up work? I found a brand new set of 317's for $300, so I'm just wondering if the costs of having these worked over to "like new" will exceed the cost of just buying the new set locally. I got a good deal on the used heads, so it'd take a couple hundred bucks of work before I'd even hit that $300 price for the new heads.

Hope that makes sense?
It's going to vary from machinist to machinist.. but to have them disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled would be less than $200 I'm sure. Might even get the valves lapped in and still be under $300. I know the 853/241's have concentricity issues in the valve jobs.. I get every set of heads that crosses my hands at least lapped, often a new VJ.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:54 PM
Banned

Oh, and I think the LS6 valve set runs about $300 itself.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Resident

I dunno...I'm trying to do a "budget build" and a couple hundred here, and a couple hundred there, adds up. Maybe the new heads would be cheaper in the long run.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:48 PM
Banned

If you can clean them yourself, then you can lap the valves yourself. It's not hard to do. Lapping compound is cheap. Do that and have .005-.006 taken off to ensure straightness. Then reassemble yourself and it will cost you under $100.

I guess I missed the part about you can clean them yourself
Old 06-28-2010, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

just so u can compare, my machinist cleaned up the heads and repolished them and made them look brand new, disassembled the springs and valves and checked each one and cleaned them up, replaced all valve seals, and redid the valve seats also. and did a bunch more stuff, but i forgot for $300. the heads look brand new and i know they were set properly.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I had my heads milled and had a valve job done and they did all the final assembly for $150 out the door. Here's what they looked like when I got them back.