Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charging Issues PCM and Battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 12:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Charging Issues PCM and Battery

I did some searching and wasn't able to find an answer or a place to start either so I figured I'd just ask the question. 2001 TA LS1 had a stock alternator on charged pretty good when first started up after it warmed up it had a hard time keeping up with lights and a/c on not to mention turn up the stereo and dropped below 12 volts. Decided to just go and get a big amp alternator got a 220 amp seems to be charging good so far haven't drove the car yet to see if it drops once things warm up. But Checked voltage at the battery and have around 14.60 or 14.50 now i check the voltage on my scan tool and that shows i only have 14.00 or 14.10 at times seems to be .5 volts off from what the battery says and what the scan tool says and my gauge cluster tells me a little different story but that might be just be the needle location. It was a half volt off before with my stock alternator and then my bosch one i put on after that also. Is this how it's suppose to be or should it be reading the same volts that the battery gets? The alternator only has 1 wire hook up on top and it was damaged so i fixed it and put on a new terminal end on also. I read some where that the wire isn't a full 12 volts switch I haven't checked that wire yet. Any advice is appreciated greatly.

Regards
Old 07-20-2010, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well took a trip with the car and as soon as everything heats up alternator doesn't want to charge over 14 anymore pcm shows it 13 sometimes less is this just heat issues or something else?
Old 07-21-2010, 04:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it's not running the battery down now, seems to me you're are worried over nothing. If it runs good and the battery is staying charged, just drive it and enjoy it.