Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head and cam question

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 08:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head and cam question

I have a completely bone stock 2001 camaro ss with the exception of slp chrome wheels and dual dual exhaust. The car has very low miles and proud of it. I am not looking for unrealistic dangerous horse power increases, but I would like to get to 400 HP to the rear wheels. My question is... with an additional few extra bolt-ons: lid, intake, throttle body, mas air flow sensor. What heads and cam would you recommend if any, to bump up the power. I am not looking for a setup that makes my car sound like it's at a tractor pull. I would like a mild setup. Are there any mild setups that still sound close to stock that would give me a jump in HP numbers?
Old 07-27-2010, 12:03 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mawilso24
I have a completely bone stock 2001 camaro ss with the exception of slp chrome wheels and dual dual exhaust. The car has very low miles and proud of it. I am not looking for unrealistic dangerous horse power increases, but I would like to get to 400 HP to the rear wheels. My question is... with an additional few extra bolt-ons: lid, intake, throttle body, mas air flow sensor. What heads and cam would you recommend if any, to bump up the power. I am not looking for a setup that makes my car sound like it's at a tractor pull. I would like a mild setup. Are there any mild setups that still sound close to stock that would give me a jump in HP numbers?
With a heads and cam setup including a good amount, you wont get a dangerous amount of power. I'm not really sure what you mean by that though. Scratch the MAF upgrade. You wont need to mess with it at all.

My suggestion is to pick a few sponsors and then narrow your selection down from there. Call them up. You will get much more realistic numbers and pricing than you will asking this question here. If you need a few to start with I can help ya out.

Geoff @ EPS
Thunder Racing
Texas Speed and Performance
Speed Inc.
Maryland Speed
Mike Norris Motorsports
SNL Performance

A good set of LS6 (243 castings) heads and a 22X-22X cam should get you over that mark and still retain stock like abilities.

Next step is going to be tuning. This is a very important one. However, are you a manual or an automatic transmission? This will make or break your hopes of easily achieving your 400rwhp mark. I will let you tell us a little more about your setup and your plans before I start elaborating in the wrong direction. List a location of where you are and it will be much easier to find someone local to you that can meet your needs as well.

Moving thread to Internal III from External.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:15 PM
Teching In

I live near the Cleveland area. I have an automatic SS. My plans are still in the planning stage, but I am nearing the time to increase my car's horsepower. I don't want to get involved with a supercharged engine and the expense of doing it right. I'm not looking to turn this car into a drag car but would like to see some noticeable horsepower gains. I know I mentioned some bolt ons could be in the near future, but if a mild head and cam package that adds up to the same cost of a half dozen bolt ons adds more power, then I am all for it. I guess one thing in particular that would be nice is if I could pick up a little more power in the lower rpm range that would be nice. Hope this helps.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not hard at all to make 400 rwhp on these cars.. make sure you have all your bolt ons like airlid, longtube headers, ory, catback, pulleys..etc..etc..

being that your an auto i would atleast run a 3600 size stall.. and go with a mid 230 duration cam..something like TSP Torquer 2 and the PRC 5.3 heads. you should be over 400rwhp easily.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you should have 241 heads,they can make 400 rwhp. use your ls6 intake and port/polish your throttle body. get a EPS cam.upgrade your rocker trunions with compcam bearings. and get . some harden push rods and good valve springs.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Teching In

check out thunderracing.com. they got a head and cam kit that sounds just like what your looking for. around 400rwhp with a stock sound and designed for stock manifolds, cats and catback.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys for all the feedback!