Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Mis-step - I Didn't Ask Enough Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 01:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face First Mis-step - I Didn't Ask Enough Questions!

Hi, new guy here, but a lot of hot rodding under my belt. I'm building 4" stroker from an '01 block with streetable cam (224/228-.570/588-112) for a swap.

I got the PP Stage 2 98 heads (great deal). Well, I got them the other day and realized I didn't ask about the chambers. Oops! They are not polished and blended. The heads and workmanship are outstanding though and are plenty worth the price with the big valves and dual springs. I'm satisfied, especially after saving the $$$.

Anyone have a idea of how much extra the chamber polish might be worth in terms of performance? It doesn't really matter for what I have in mind, I'm just curious. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-31-2004, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Just a polish does nothing. You can have the chamber shaped a little to ward off hot spots, but it's good the way it is. The rough surface will build up some carbon, which will help retain heat in the combustion chamber.
Old 01-31-2004, 04:08 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

I don't think much chamber work is done (if any) on any of the 5.7L LS1 heads. The 5.3L heads have unshrouded valves, and the rewelded LQ9(LS6 Style) have full chamber work also.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks, folks, for the replies. As I said, I'm plenty satified with the product, great for the price. I guess I just expected to see polished chambers. My bad! If that's the worst thing I've done, then I'm off to a great start!
Old 02-01-2004, 12:37 AM
TECH Regular

I recently received a set of these heads as well. It seems intake and exhaust valve stems are not aligned. It looks as intake spring installed height is consistantly less than exhaust and there will be clearly less lifter preload for intake valves. Is this intentional ?