Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

possible blown head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible blown head gasket?

Ive never heard what a blown head gasket sounds like and was woundering if it could sound like an exhaust leak? Ive got a tick but its not my headers and i dont have coolent leakin that i can see. Just was wondering tryin to track this tick down. Motor has 160k on er. And wouldnt be suprised if it was the head gasket. Can a small blow in gasket sound like exaust leak a tick??
Old 11-07-2010, 05:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would know if it was a blown head gasket because the car would run like crap and your going to be leaking coolant from somewhere. Clean the surfaces with brake parts cleaner or similar and check for leaks. More difficult to spot on the back side of the motor unless you want to get under it and look up. A mirror could help alittle with looking between the head and firewall but its pretty tight back there as is. If its a tiny leak you can try some BARS stop leak its pretty good stuff its not really good for the engine but if money is tight you can stop the leak and get a few thousand more miles out of her to save up for a rebuild. I had a pretty bad coolant leak on a 94 explorer back in high school the engine had 170k miles on it well I used the entire bottle of that stuff in the little V6 sold the car to a buddy who used it through college (told him about the coolant leak and sold him the truck cheap) he got another 30k out of it over 2 years before the explorer finally exploded. It wasnt a easy 2 years either 2 snowy winters in MD and some offroading so the truck wasnt babied after the leak. Just some options for you if money is tight.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hanzy98LS1
Ive never heard what a blown head gasket sounds like and was woundering if it could sound like an exhaust leak? Ive got a tick but its not my headers and i dont have coolent leakin that i can see. Just was wondering tryin to track this tick down. Motor has 160k on er. And wouldnt be suprised if it was the head gasket. Can a small blow in gasket sound like exaust leak a tick??
Nothing in your description would indicate a blown head gasket as opposed to a noisey fuel injector, a lifter or rocker arm problem, bent pushrod, or other causes of an engine "tick."
Old 11-08-2010, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

Ya I considerd valvetraine but i just put new TSP pushrods and new yellow springs in her. After I started hearing the tick I pulled the valve covers rechecked my torque on the rockers and evrything was good. I catch a smell of coolent evry now and then thats why I was thinkin head gasket. I got in her this mornin and it took three tries for her to start and stay runnin. It is runnin pretty ruff ima get under it and check evrything closley. It could be a lifter oil pressure is perfect.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

I can hear it mostly on the drivers side in the back close to the bottom of the motor (but dont think bottom end). I can hear it best when im in the car driven. The tick changes with rpm hear it loudest at low rpm then barley hear it at higher rpm just was wonderin what a blown head gasket would sound like.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:23 PM
TECH Regular

you may have a bad lifter back there if it is changing with RPM as you say. Hardened pushrods dont bend they snap which means your safe there. Does the sound go away alittle after the car warms up? Another possibility is one of your rockers dumped the bearings. Or possibly one of those yellow springs you installed is bad. You can throw your stockers back on the right bank of the motor and see if anything changes. Since your going to have the rockers off to do this, you can inspect them and see if any of them decided to **** there bearings. Only other thing I can think of off the top of my head since I am not there with you is you spun a rod bearing but that would sound more like a tick tick instead of sewing machine type noise. Search spun rod bearing and see if any of those symptoms match yours.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Thats the thing thats puzzling me is it doesnt make a sound on start up or ideling. I really hear it when it shifts from 1st to 2nd its auto nothin at idle or when i stop at lights. Ive read most of the spun bearing posts and it may be that. The oil pressure stays perfect tho 60 when cold and on excc. and 40 when warm. Thers no telln mabye I messed up my flywheel when i titened my crank pulley down thanks for the replys bro.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Regular

Couple more questions

What mods did you install?
Did this sound appear after you installed the parts?
I really dont know what else to say except trace your steps back you may have a bad part that you installed it happens sometimes.

Quick Reply: possible blown head gasket?