Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steve Martinez Stage 2 Heads

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 12:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Steve Martinez Stage 2 Heads

first off, i am not a profesional head porter so dont tell me these suck. i have been porting the heads that i run on my engines for years and have had good success. these are my first set of LS1 heads that i have done. they are 706 5.3/4.8 castings. i installed ferra 2.02/1.57 valves they were machined by GTP. one of the exhuast valves was from MTI and is a little bit different but oh well. these valves came out nice with a good radius on them instead of a single angle back cut. a machine shop here in corpus also put a real nice cut on the seats. a multiangle job on the intake and a nice radius on the exhuast. i also deshrouded the cambers all the way to a 4.00 bore since these are for my iron block. because of that, these will not fit on a stock none sleeved LS1 block. then i blended in the seats, cleaned up the pockets, narrowed down the guides alot (spend alot of time there), raised the roof a little bit (not to to much), grinded down that little peace that covers the bottom of the rocker bolt, cleaned up the short radius, debured the chambers, polised everything, laped the valves to see where they were hitting, checked spring height (i could not get 1.8 out of them but it was very close), assembled with crane duals and steel retainters (i could not afford titaniums), and finally checked with carb cleaner to see if everything was sealing. i was a little bit worried about that one MTI exhaust valve. it would not seat at first but after a hour or so lapping it, it was fine. i started up the motor yeasterday and it did not have any misfires so i guess it will be alright. i flowed these on my own home made flow bench but all i can tell with that is if it made a difference or not. after flowing some heads i have around the garage, i found that they flowed more then stock, better then a stock LS1 head, better then a stock 6.0L head, but they could not touch my ported BBC eldelbrock heads . i am not sure on numbers but i a pretty much confedent that they can stand up to most profesionaly ported stage 1 heads. after looking at some GTP 2Xheads i felt good that i was going in the right direction but the GTPs were alot better. you can tell those guys know what they are doing over there. i also looked at some PP 6.0L heads and i feel that mine can stand up to them but will probably flow a little bit less since i did not start with a LS6 style runner. looking at the pictures, i shows all the small scratches but if you compare then in person to the CNC PP heads mine are alot smother since they dont have all the marks that the CNC machine puts on them. also these are not something i will ever sell. this is just my personal hobbie and i dont feel like spending another 20 hours on someone elses heads . what do yall guys think?
Old 02-08-2004, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like alotta work!
I'd probably go thru a keg and a carton of smokes doing what you did
Old 02-08-2004, 12:56 PM
10 Second Club

forgot the pics. here they are.
http://www.geocities.com/taqwache/SMPheads.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/taqwache/SMPheads2.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/taqwache/SMPheads3.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/taqwache/SMPheads4.jpg

Originally Posted by onyxxtreme
sounds like alotta work!
I'd probably go thru a keg and a carton of smokes doing what you did
it sure is.i used the 20 hours as an example. i lost count after the first couple of days. acually i went though about 6 liters of Dr Pepper. i also had a few beers but i will usually stop working on them after the first two so i will not mess them up.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:58 PM
10 Second Club

it doest look like geocities will let me link those pics. if you cut and paste them to the adress, you can view them.
Old 02-08-2004, 01:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks good from where im sittin
Old 02-08-2004, 10:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's alot of work, but it looks like good. I know they say you loose torque with a big CC runner, but look at TEA's 2.5 LS6 heads. He picked up like 50 ft lbs down low with those heads, hope yours work as well. What type of cam are you going to run?
Old 02-09-2004, 01:27 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DaleMX
That's alot of work, but it looks like good. I know they say you loose torque with a big CC runner, but look at TEA's 2.5 LS6 heads. He picked up like 50 ft lbs down low with those heads, hope yours work as well. What type of cam are you going to run?
im running a 234/238 on 114. going to try and spray it a bit. i just now took it to the muffler shop to get true duals put on. i will know how good it runs once i get my ls1edit back and spend a weekend tunning it. i will yet yall know what it dynoed.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AW SIT Steve............... Give me a call when ya get home from work.
Kyle
Old 02-11-2004, 12:52 AM
10 Second Club

whats up kyle email me your number again i forgot it. i have been driving it for the last 2 days and it sure does pull hard. the comp Rs are a bit noisey but not much more then stock. i need to buy some adjustables soon. you will problably see it next time i need to get on base to finally get my ID and sticker.