Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MS3 + 100 shot + catback. Thats it.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MS3 + 100 shot + catback. Thats it.

So here it is. I know theres a plethora of post on this site about this Cam, and Im not gonna add to the "Is this daily driver friendly" thread. Im just gonna take my first post to say what im putting on my car. Feel free to chime in and say what ya think. So 2000 WS6 M6, nothing but a nice K&N intake, nothing fancy. What I want to do FOR NOW is MS3 cam (springs and retainers and rods as well), and a nice 100 shot from the good folks at Dyno tune. My 3" catback exhaust is already sitting at the house. When all is installed, Im planning on getting a tune. If anyone knows any shops that deal with LS1's in the Tucson or Phoenix area, please let me know. (or ill just keep searchingfor that) Planning on getting an LS6 intake later, as well as heads, headers, and a 9" with gears that im not sure of as of now. So good start? Dumb start? Sell the car and buy a K20 Prelude? (not happening FYI)
Old 01-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Tenured Member

LS1Tech 10 Year

if auto get a stall
Old 01-05-2011, 05:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Need a better exhaust with that cam (LTs) and ditch the cats.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:55 PM

Yeah, long tubes are coming, but this is all i got money for right now. The cats are only on for emmision. After the test I got coming up, im ditching those for a good Y-pipe. Setup. But as of now, you think I got a pretty good start going? Thanks for the advice btw.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:57 PM
TECH Regular

That size cam without a full exhaust Is not a very smart start. Do it in the correct order, Bolt ons first then H/C.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:02 PM
TECH Regular

Also wanted too add. Good shop in the phoenix area would be top gear motorsports in mesa, talk to sean there he is a great guy with a VERY good reputation. Good tuner in the area Is Nic D. He doesnt work for any specific shop. With the help and wisdom of both of them my car runs consistent 12.3 with bolt ons a great tune and a small stall converter, Even in this az heat.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SPEEDRELIGION
Yeah, long tubes are coming, but this is all i got money for right now. The cats are only on for emmision. After the test I got coming up, im ditching those for a good Y-pipe. Setup. But as of now, you think I got a pretty good start going? Thanks for the advice btw.
You need to get headers first, then cam it.
When you change a cam, you have to tune it, If you do that on stock manifolds and then put headers, you'll have to retune it.
Not to mention it will run like crap.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With that cam and your stock exhaust you are pissing your money away getting it tuned. As soon as you get long tubes and a ORY your going to need to spend more money on the tune. So listen to the advice up top. Otherwise you risk getting embarrassed by that prelude when your car moves like a turtle below 5k.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:28 PM
Launching!

+1 to what everyone else said, basic boltons first then cam it. Also, Dyno Tune Nitrous kits FTW, been using mine now for a while with no problems(100shot). Might want to think about getting gears although i saw you eventually want a 9".
Old 01-05-2011, 06:41 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fyi your not gonna make good numbers running the ls1 intake,should do the ls6 come cam swap time,I ran my ms4 on my 99 ss m6 and dyno numbers sucked,was a diffrent world once the ls6 was put on,ditch the cats also,ms3 is a good cam but needs a tall gear ,when new rear goes in think 4.10s or higher.you really need a full exhaust,and intake those should be first on the list.I don't know if your gonna run a dry,or wet shot but I know my car with bolt ons and the ms4 had the stock injectors almost maxed out at 6100 or 62,can't remember but I would upgrade injectors as well.do the bolt ons first than the cam and spray.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:18 PM

With the MS3 cam you definetly need the supporting mods to go along with it.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

be patient ,save your money up.ask alot of questions ,read alot of stickies.the best things in life take time.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just hold off on the cam install and install the nitrous kit and spray it untill you have to smog it. Once your smogged, then install the cam, headers and off road y along with whatever else you would like.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:05 PM

This is the info i needed. I know that cam works best when everything is breathing right. Just thought i could start with the cam since I came across a good deal on one. So full bolt ons would probably be the best option, that opens the road to whatever option I want afterwards instead of being limited to the cam, or having to swap that back out again. I appreciate all the help guys. Listening to friends is going to end up breaking my wallet and my car. Oh and Ill get a hold of that shop in Mesa as soon as I get back there, thanks again.

Quick Reply: MS3 + 100 shot + catback. Thats it.