Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

454 vs 408

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 454 vs 408

i'm planning on getting a trans am next year. i'll be getting back from afganistan, so i'll have a years pay minus the little bit i spend while over there. it needs to be streetable. i can't decide on the engine though. lsx 454 or a stroked lq4 408. the only real difference in price would the block. it's gonna be naturally aspirated. as much compression as i think i can get away with on 91 octane and a really thumpy cam. i guise what it boils down to is: is the extra 50 cubic inches worth $2500 for the lsx bock?
Old 01-14-2011, 04:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Earl performance inc has 454 shortblock for $5 K
Old 01-14-2011, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

i'm not looking for a shortblock. i want to build everything myself, and it'll be a bit cheaper. what i was hoping for is opinions on if i should spring lsx block. the lq4 would be cheaper, but i'd make more power with the 454. do you think the extra displacement is worth the cost of the block?
Old 01-14-2011, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

I think that really depends entirely on you. What are your goals? Do you have plans on nitrous (heavy hits) or turbo/blower? Keep in mind also that peace of mind is priceless. And that's not to say a stock LS type block is gonna be weak you know. If I were building one from scratch and money were not an issue then yes, I'd prolly get a LSX block. Me being realistic, I have a LS1 alum block that I'm making into a 383. Got it for $350 so yes, I am a cheap bastard.....lol. On a side note, the money saved on the block can net you a really kickass set of heads.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:53 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

The 454 will certainly make more power! I don't think 2500 extra makes sense. If this is more of a toy then you don't need every last HP. Save the $2500 and look into a blower down the road. It won't cost much more then $2500 plus it gives two stages of upgrades. A nice strong high HP 408 then down the road through some boost or nitrous and then it gets crazy.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

I have seen quiet a few argue that the extra needed HP to displace the weight of the iron block is a determining factor. Though it is not a huge difference!
I think it really just boils down to what you want to spend.
The 408 is extremely popular.(Thats what I just went with!)
Don't neglect the heads on either build.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

do you have access to a machine shop?some of these engine builders do alot of engines and can do them more cost effective then the average hot rodder.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

i don't really have any serious goals for the car. it would be nice to beat my friend's 08 zo6, but that can come later down the road with n2o if need be. for now i'll be keeping the engine n/a. after the initial build i'll be putting money slowly into the suspension. when i get cocky and think i need more power i'll get some giggle juice. eventually, way down the road, maybe after the next deployment, i'll swap out pistons and get a blower. but that's a few years out. both blocks are iron, so i doubt there will really be much weight difference between them. heads either way will be afr, i'm looking at the 245cc heads, but nothing's written in stone yet. when i decide on where i want the peak power at i'll pick a cam and heads that compliment each other. i won't skimp on any part of the engine build, i want to do it right, once. that's partly why i'm so hung up on the choice of displacement
Old 01-14-2011, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

AFR 245's are a serious head indeed. Depending on how much N2O you spray, you will be fine using a 6.0L iron block. I have been told they will hold upwards of 1200whp with proper internals and machine work.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

garygnu, there are a few problems with that. first, i want to do this myself. this will be my car, my engine, built not bought, 100% mine. second, this will be built in lander wyoming. i don't know of any machine shop within a few hundred miles of where i'll be at. also, if i hire out the work, i'll have to be paying for labor. i'd rather spend the money on parts
Old 01-14-2011, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

Well, I plan on sticking with the 6.0 block and going with a 4.125 stroke and a 4.060 overbore for @ a 430ish ci. el cheapo set-up with @ 12.5:1 COMP. I want to go e85 this time. But, i''m sticking with the Ls3 ported, top-end. I thought you might like a combo like this, also. So, I just threw it out there... Best wishes, Brother... Thanks for your service... Keep us updated....
Old 01-14-2011, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

hmm, didn't know you could do a 4.125" stroke on a lq4 block. you have to do any clearance work on the block?
Old 01-14-2011, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

I don't think so... But if there is it isn't bad... A friend of mine ran one in his 94 f-body and it went high nines with A3 and a 12 bolt @ 3800#s. With a nos custom grind cam.
on 93 pump gas...
That is awesome to me...hahaha...
Old 01-14-2011, 11:50 PM
On The Tree

9's at 3800 pounds AND pump gas? god that must have been a lot of nitrous. hahahaha sounds like fun. ya, thanks for suggestion. i think i'll just have to do that. and by the way, the bore and stroke you provided turns out to a 427. that's a good number. i think i'm gonna go with it. thanks again. i'll post my build up as it goes, but that won't be till july 2012.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you your looking for N/A Setup then I'd go with the biggest CI you can get...

"cough" 500ci "cough"
Old 01-15-2011, 04:47 AM
dug
Banned

sounds like you want a 454 with 300hp of juice
Old 01-15-2011, 08:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Look, while I give props for wanting to do it all yourself, you do not strike me experienced enought to put together such a stroker.
First thing, put it all on paper. See how much it will cost, and you'll find that some built shortblocks are a better deal. Better deal in the sense that it is built right and fully blueprinted.
You can then put the top end on and all the peripherals, brief, you're good to go.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

454 all the way. That just makes a car sexy and the extra tq would be amazing.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Look, while I give props for wanting to do it all yourself, you do not strike me experienced enought to put together such a stroker.
First thing, put it all on paper. See how much it will cost, and you'll find that some built shortblocks are a better deal. Better deal in the sense that it is built right and fully blueprinted.
You can then put the top end on and all the peripherals, brief, you're good to go.
i'm working on the parts list. i have a ballpark list done. just need to get the prices 100% and locations. true, i'm not an SAE certified mechanic working on high performance vehicles all day. i can honestly say however, that the only parts i haven't touches is the inside of a transmission or the bottom end of an engine. i'm not saying i'm a mechanical genius, but i have put my share of blood and sweat into several cars and trucks. this thing's gonna be built in my dad's shop. he owned and ran a mechanic shop for about 15 years. i'm also good friends with a couple of the local mechanic shops. i'll have all the tools i need, and several people to turn to for help. i'll be putting in leave for the whole month of july. so if **** hits the fan i'll still have time to order and receive parts. from where i sit, my *** is covered about as well as it could be. ya, i might run into a few hiccups, i expect to hit several on something like this. how am i ever going to get the experience if i don't just do it?
Old 01-16-2011, 04:24 AM

Location: Currently.. Korea. Summer home in paradise.. I mean Wyoming.

Originally Posted by jeforton
i'm working on the parts list. i have a ballpark list done. just need to get the prices 100% and locations. true, i'm not an SAE certified mechanic working on high performance vehicles all day. i can honestly say however, that the only parts i haven't touches is the inside of a transmission or the bottom end of an engine. i'm not saying i'm a mechanical genius, but i have put my share of blood and sweat into several cars and trucks. this thing's gonna be built in my dad's shop. he owned and ran a mechanic shop for about 15 years. i'm also good friends with a couple of the local mechanic shops. i'll have all the tools i need, and several people to turn to for help. i'll be putting in leave for the whole month of july. so if **** hits the fan i'll still have time to order and receive parts. from where i sit, my *** is covered about as well as it could be. ya, i might run into a few hiccups, i expect to hit several on something like this. how am i ever going to get the experience if i don't just do it?
Ha.. Haha.. Hahaha... ... My Camaro definitely wasn't one of those cars, nooo, its a nice car, it wouldn't do such things.

Quick Reply: 454 vs 408