Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this all you will need?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 03:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is this all you will need?

Was looking around for a "package deal" and this is what i found. Is this all you will need for a cam install?

Thunder Racing LS1 Cam Swap Package Includes:
- Your Choice of Thunder Racing Custom Grind Camshaft
- Comp Cams 26918 Valve Springs
- Comp Cams 772 Titanium Retainers ($100 Additional)
- Thunder Racing Stock Length Pushrods (7.400)
- Cam Swap Gasket Kit (Specify Year of Car)

The price for this was like 640 or so.. Is there a better deal anywhere else?

Thanks..
Old 02-10-2004, 03:37 PM
TECH Junkie

You will also need fluids (antifreeze, oil, oil filter). Other than that, you'll need some specialty tools (valvespring compressor, JPR lifter tool or 16 pen magnets). Also need a new crank pulley bolt (one may be included in their gasket kit, though). Looks like a complete package, and good price for all that you get, IMO. Good luck, Shawn
Old 02-10-2004, 03:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SPANKY LS1
You will also need fluids (antifreeze, oil, oil filter). Other than that, you'll need some specialty tools (valvespring compressor, JPR lifter tool or 16 pen magnets). Also need a new crank pulley bolt (one may be included in their gasket kit, though). Looks like a complete package, and good price for all that you get, IMO. Good luck, Shawn
Yea i was expecting the fluids and suff. And i will propably have a friend do the heads. But is that the right valve train that i will need for say a TR224 112 lsa cam?
Old 02-10-2004, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TR's cam package kit is complete and even comes with a new crank pulley bolt. All the gaskets are GM OEM parts just like factory. That's a hell of a price! I would also opt for the $100 titanium retainers as they are really lighter than the stock GM retainers. The lighter your valvetrain the better. I am running everything in the package above and have had no problems and the TR224 really pulls hard. Expect to replace the 918 valvesprings every 20-50K miles depending on how hard you use the car.

Tools you will need for camswap not included.......New coolant, change oil and filter after cam swap, valvespring compressor tool, pen magnets to hold up lifters or the JPR tool, air compressor and fitting to fit into spark plug hole to pressurize the cylinder while changing valvesprings and BEER! Lots of it!!!!
Old 02-10-2004, 04:07 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ryan02SS
TR's cam package kit is complete and even comes with a new crank pulley bolt. All the gaskets are GM OEM parts just like factory. That's a hell of a price! I would also opt for the $100 titanium retainers as they are really lighter than the stock GM retainers. The lighter your valvetrain the better. I am running everything in the package above and have had no problems and the TR224 really pulls hard. Expect to replace the 918 valvesprings every 20-50K miles depending on how hard you use the car.

Tools you will need for camswap not included.......New coolant, change oil and filter after cam swap, valvespring compressor tool, pen magnets to hold up lifters or the JPR tool, air compressor and fitting to fit into spark plug hole to pressurize the cylinder while changing valvesprings and BEER! Lots of it!!!!
I hear ya on the beer. Me and a buddy can do the cam swap but all the things that need to be done to the heads im better off taking it to a shop for that. Cant wait.. Shouldnt be too much longer (maybe a month or two) Just thought id go ahead and start asking for opinions now.