Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slightly bent pushrod, and messed up a rocker.. HELP please!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 06:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Slightly bent pushrod, and messed up a rocker.. HELP please!!

Just finished with my head/cam swap last week. Got the car running and it felt like it was missing. I just figured it was cause the cam was so big and I also swapped to solid motor mounts. Took the car for a dyno tune and the tuner felt the miss and did a compression test. My #6 had only 10#. So took the car back home(trailer both ways)and pulled my valve cover. The pushrod was wedged between the rocker and head. The pushrod has a VERY slight bent were it was wedged at. I'm not sure if I just put that rocker on wrong and did make sure it was seated properly or what. Now I'm not sure what to do or what went wrong. Here is a pic of the rocker.

Mods are: Polluter cam(242/244) Trick flow 220 as cast milled .010, 7.500 pushrods and yella terra 1.7's. PTV did not seem to be an issue but I did not check with a solid roller. I'm really bummed right now and will appreciate any help I can get.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By the looks of if, your pushrod was not seated correctly on the rocker.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

And what you need to do asap before you dig down any deeper is go get a camera that you can put inside your spark plug hole and look for marks if your valves hit your pistons.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:05 PM
Launching!

What I THINK happened was I'm a moron and did not put the pushrod on the rocker all the way. When the cam came up it knocked the pushrod off and after letting the car idle it wedged the pushrod between the head and rocker arm keeping the valve open and bending the pushrod in the process. Does this sound feasible?
Old 03-07-2011, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSmoked1
What I THINK happened was I'm a moron and did not put the pushrod on the rocker all the way. When the cam came up it knocked the pushrod off and after letting the car idle it wedged the pushrod between the head and rocker arm keeping the valve open and bending the pushrod in the process. Does this sound feasible?
Sure does sound feasible. But you know what happens when a valve hangs open when the piston comes up, not a good outcome. Post some pictures of your pushrod.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Launching!

I wasn't sure how to take the pic. You really can not tell it is bent unless you roll it. It has just has a slight wobble...
Old 03-07-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can tell its bent. That silver mark on the pushrod in the first pic is where it looks like it was binded at. That mark wasnt there when you put the pushrod in was it?
Old 03-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Greekey
I can tell its bent. That silver mark on the pushrod in the first pic is where it looks like it was binded at. That mark wasnt there when you put the pushrod in was it?
Yeah that silver mark is the paint rubbed off. It was not like that when I put it in. I am going to fill the cylinder up with air and see if it holds compression. If it does, I ordered 1 pushrod so I'll just put it in and give her a go. If it does not then the valve is bent and I'm fucked. From looking at the valve tips they are lined up and both look closed. We also didn't hear knocking when it was running. Although if there was slight PTV contact I doubt we could hear it. I appreciate the help.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you measure for correct pushrod length.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Launching!

I used the EO/IC method. I could of messed up but it is pretty simple. I got about 2 turns past zero lash so at worst my purhrods are .025" to long. Also my valve swipe is perfect without the yella terra shim.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I used the EO/IC method.
You can't use that method with the YT's because they are in pairs. You need to follow the firing order and do each pair when the piston is at TDC of the firing stroke. That could be how this happened.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
You can't use that method with the YT's because they are in pairs. You need to follow the firing order and do each pair when the piston is at TDC of the firing stroke. That could be how this happened.
This is true, If you adjust one rocker, the shaft will try to adjust rocker arm beside it. You must use the top dead center method to adjust these rockers in pairs.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:50 AM
Launching!

I have a comp PR length checker. I'll measure with that and a stock set of rockers.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Why are you measuring with stock rockers if you are using YT rockers? The shim will lengthen the pushrod requirement by around 0.075". If you followed LS1howto on the YT installation, the procedure isn't correct. Shim for wipe pattern, then measure for pushrod once wipe is correct.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Launching!

I did follow LS1Howto for the YT install. It is actually the same instructions YT sent in the box. I did not install the shim and swipe pattern is good.

I installed the bent PR and re installed the rockers. Checked for compression and it was good. Started the car with valve cover off and it ran fine and the cylinder was firing. I think either I did not seat the PR on the rocker or is it possible the valve stuck? When we pulled the plug originally it looked like the cylinder never fired and all the others were rich.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

I did follow LS1Howto for the YT install. It is actually the same instructions YT sent in the box. I did not install the shim and swipe pattern is good.

I installed the bent PR and re installed the rockers. Checked for compression and it was good. Started the car with valve cover off and it ran fine and the cylinder was firing. I think either I did not seat the PR on the rocker or is it possible the valve stuck? When we pulled the plug originally it looked like the cylinder never fired and all the others were rich.
The shims are not to adjust the preload, as indicated on LS1howto, they are to adjust the geometry (wipe). Shimming will alter pushrod requirements. If you checked wipe by rotating the motor, it is likely not correct unless you used check springs. The lifter plunger depression will give false wipe patterns.,

Quick Reply: Slightly bent pushrod, and messed up a rocker.. HELP please!!