Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building a 383 and have a couple questions about parts...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a 383 and have a couple questions about parts...

So I'm putting the pieces together for a 383 and have been going though the different websites looking at the prices different companies have which brings up some questions. For the most part the car is going to be a daily driver that see's the track maybe two or three times a year max and a 150 shot plate while at the track.

As I'm going through the websites I see like a Scat crank v.s a Lunati or Callies and such a price difference, for my application would something like a Callies be over kill for me or would a Scat work out alright?

I guess same question goes as far as pistons and rods? I do not have a heavy right foot and am very easy on my cars as I like them to last, but also like to take them out to have some fun once or twice a year.

So ya, would I be ok with a Scat crank, Mahle pistons and Eagle rods with the correct rings, or is trying to save a bit of money when it comes to this not the best way to go? I just don't what's overkill for my basic street car.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes any forged crank will EASILY stand the the power you wanna make and then some as well as a stock one at 346/347 ci..... The stock crank are tough pieces....

Your combo sounds good......I opted for a Callies Compstar crank and rods with Wiseco pistons which are pretty good IMO but Eagle and Scat are also tough but have any of them double checked by your machinest for finish.....
Old 03-13-2011, 09:46 AM
Staging Lane

Make sure you get good qoutes on all your machine work and parts. I bought all the parts and after all the machine work, block clearancing, and assembly I only came up about $200 less than an assembled longblock from one of the sponsors on here. And taking my time into account of ordering parts, dropping off the block, picking it up, ect I would have been better off buying a long block.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup callies here,,went with them for their quality and reputation,,All my parts measurwed and weighed out perfect when assembling the engine.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

I agree with rigid, an assembled short block will not cost any more and the addition of parts and machine work. And I think you a better balance job.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

Ya sounds as though I'm really going to need to do some research before I start dropping money on parts as it's looking as though it would be easier to just buy from a vendor complete. I think it's just the initial hit is so hard to take all at once.

I really appreciate the counsel!
Old 03-14-2011, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I will tell you this right now from experience,,I could have gotten My short block cheaper from texas speed shipped than I did building it myself parts at a time. But on the other hand, I know exactly what my ring gaps are, I set em, I know exactly what my clearances are, I measured them, So I have the satisfaction of knowing I built My engine..
Old 03-14-2011, 11:23 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

At your expected power level you would be find running SCAT or Eagle parts, but for piece of mind we would probably run Callies parts. Callies parts seem to have a better fit and finish them most alternatives. Feel free to give us a call if you would like to talk the assembly over in more detail.