Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about upgrading my heads

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thinking about upgrading my heads

Current setup listed below. I purchased my heads back in 07. They made sense at the time. But I think they are a bit dated at this point and I think I would get some pretty good bang for the buck (considering I could sell my darts) with a nice head upgrade. When I originally purchased them, I had the thought in mind that I might go larger cubes at some point and they would work well with a good port job at that time. I will eventually go with larger cubes if I live long enough, but it isn't gonna happen any time soon and maybe never with this car. What would give me the most bang for the buck? TFS 215, AFR 205, or PRC 215? Obviously bang for the buck depends on the price paid. I know TFS would require a rocker upgrade which would mean more $$. I'm thinking PRC or AFR. Thoughts?
Old 03-29-2011, 09:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unless you are really itching to spend money i would not do it. The ls6 intake is more of a restriction than those heads. If you are set on doing something then just do as you originally planned and have a decent port job done to your current heads. I cant see that there is too much to be gained from buying new heads in your case.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've heard those Dart heads flow really well with a nice port job. Maybe your money would be better spend having someone hand port them for you.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CRAZZ28
unless you are really itching to spend money i would not do it. The ls6 intake is more of a restriction than those heads. If you are set on doing something then just do as you originally planned and have a decent port job done to your current heads. I cant see that there is too much to be gained from buying new heads in your case.
Agreed! I believe the Darts are an aftermarket casting. The TFS, PRC, and AFR are all aftermarket casting. You look like you have a good setup. I would suggest maybe stepping up to a ported fast. Who did the work on your Darts? You can maybe give TEA or WCCH a call to see if they can do anything.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

While those Darts are nice heads and could flow more w/porting, increasing
runner volume on a stock cube will only lessen port speed, throttle response,
and streetable torque below 4000rpms. Ultimately the engine would make
more mid and topend power and be faster in the quarter but the slight trade-
off is up to you. AFR heads are works of art and TEA offers powdered-metal
valveguides for Trickflow heads(factory rockerarm compatible) which have real strong low & midlift #s from a 13deg. valve angle. Selling your heads and
probably $2500 later you may only see another 15-25 hp. Perhaps a set of
Mast 11deg. cathedral-port 215cc heads and a newer profile cam(not
necessarily larger) just sweeter lobes(more lift) to match heads may pick you
up 40-60 ponies with a fresh tune and justify the magnitude of work involved
Good luck to ya and please keep us posted !!!!!!
Old 03-29-2011, 11:20 AM
TECH Regular

Ported Fast for bang for the buck
Old 03-29-2011, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
off is up to you.
This is my thinking as well. Porting my heads for a 346 wouldn't be the best option.

I am also not convinced that I would gain much at all with a Fast intake at my power level. Assuming I could sell my heads for about $1K, I could upgrade to better set of heads for my combo for roughly the same price as a Fast + TB.

I probably won't do anything for a while, just kicking around some ideas. I need to sell a house before I will have any money for mods anyway and the car runs pretty good now, always looking for a little more though.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
off is up to you. AFR heads are works of art and TEA offers powdered-metal
valveguides for Trickflow heads(factory rockerarm compatible) which have real strong low & midlift #s from a 13deg. valve angle. Selling your heads and
probably $2500 later you may only see another 15-25 hp. Perhaps a set of
Mast 11deg. cathedral-port 215cc heads and a newer profile cam(not
necessarily larger) just sweeter lobes(more lift) to match heads may pick you
up 40-60 ponies with a fresh tune and justify the magnitude of work involved
Good luck to ya and please keep us posted !!!!!!

I have never laid eyes on a set of Mast heads but HIGHLY doubt 40-60.... If your heads are unported you will see some with AFR/TFS/PRC(proprietary only) But not a great amount.... How much is 10-20 worth to ya???? And remember like stated the intake is a limiting factor even the FAST will never take full advantage of these GREAT flowing heads....
Old 03-30-2011, 07:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DaveX
This is my thinking as well. Porting my heads for a 346 wouldn't be the best option.

I am also not convinced that I would gain much at all with a Fast intake at my power level. Assuming I could sell my heads for about $1K, I could upgrade to better set of heads for my combo for roughly the same price as a Fast + TB.

I probably won't do anything for a while, just kicking around some ideas. I need to sell a house before I will have any money for mods anyway and the car runs pretty good now, always looking for a little more though.
You do not necessarily need to have them extensively ported. but some light bowl work and smoothing in the runners goes a long way.

Im sure there are some before/after dyno runs comparing the ls6 and fast 90 floating around the site somewhere. You may be surprised at what you will gain
Old 03-30-2011, 08:56 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CRAZZ28
You do not necessarily need to have them extensively ported. but some light bowl work and smoothing in the runners goes a long way.

Im sure there are some before/after dyno runs comparing the ls6 and fast 90 floating around the site somewhere. You may be surprised at what you will gain
This