Me Confuzzed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Me Confuzzed?

hey guys im new to the site and to GM,
i just have a few questions.
i have been reading alot on here and i read a really good post on camshaft selection in here, also on choosing the right intake.

I have 93 240SX that im swapping a lsx into, i already have all the mounting kit for the vehicle but im hung up on what motor to get.

its all comming down to money for me, I have been looking at lq9 and lq4.
the LQ9 seems to be hard to find, and its a little more money.
so is it worth getting? i read that the rods are stronger on the 9 and the pistons are flat top instead of dish like on the LQ4.
but horsepower wise what are the limits of these motors?

I also read that the LQ9 basically has an LS2 bottom end

really what im looking for is what route i should go?
should i get an lq4 block and stuff Lq9 rods and pistons in it?
or should i buy a complete LQ4 and just mill the heads to gain some compression.

i would like to eventually be around the 450 to 500hp mark

thanks for anything you can guide me on.

also what are the flow capabilities on the stock heads ?
l92 heads worth it ?
patriot alum ?

thanks
Old 04-05-2011, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

The conversions and hybrids section will be your best bet on this one. Try posting this over there. Good luck
Old 04-05-2011, 10:05 PM
TECH Regular

If you're putting this motor into a 240 you're probably going to want to go with an aluminum block don't you think? Maybe the extra weight of an iron block doesn't make much of a difference but to me I think it would in such a small car. So an LS1/LS6/LS2 might be your best bet, the LS1 obviously being the cheapest to find. All three are capable of making and maintaining your desired HP on the stock shortblock, rod bolts recommended.

Stock heads on LS6's and LS2's flow pretty good and are popular, LS1 heads not so much. If you go with an iron 6.0, aftermarket heads would be preferred.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NAVY-ET
its all comming down to money for me, I have been looking at lq9 and lq4.
I am going to try and keep this in mind while typing. The LQ9 is harder to find because it was only in Escalades, SS trucks and Denali's I believe. You may be able to find one at a salvage yard for the same price as an LQ4 if they don't realize what they have...which is kind of what happened to me. I am 90% sure that the only difference in the shortblock is the compression ratio from the dished pistons on the LQ4. The rods and crank etc are the same...again 90% certain on that. The LQ4 is much more popular since it was in many 3/4 ton trucks and also vans. The 317 heads flow well and are what you will typically find on the truck motor. Basically, I have some mild head work done to my 317's...some flow enhancements in the pocket and seat area (done by the shop) along with polishing (not opening) the ports and combustion chambers myself...total machine shop expense for the heads was under $800 with a slight mill and 2.02, 1.57 valves. The mild head work and a custom mid-size cam (about $600 with springs) is suppose to put me at 500 chp. I think that is a fairly reasonable cost to make that kind of HP. Although, I think you can make 450-500 chp with the right "custom" cam (only)...but one of the cam guys will have to verify that...Patrick G or Predator Z.
Hope this helps some????
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ads-cam-5.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...am-change.html

Last edited by Paul57; 04-05-2011 at 11:23 PM.