Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

piston slap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 12:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default piston slap?

so i heard that the fbody ls1's had issues with piston slap. I have had my 2000 ws6 for about a year and it had piston slap wen it was started up cold. that was no big deal because i would just let it warm up before having fun with it. lately though i have been hearing it after the car is completely warmed up when i accelerate from a stop. i dont understand why this is happening? last time it happened it was because the car was needing a little oil, but i added oil and i have kept up with my oil changes and it is doing it again. the car has 93,000 miles on it and i want it to last. what should i do about this piston slap issue?

(could it be like rod knock? it sounds like a knocking sound wen started cold and then off stops its that same knocking sound, but its not consistant. it just randomly happens)

Please help me out with this.

Thanks,
Jimmy
Old 04-20-2011, 06:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ston-slap.html
Old 04-20-2011, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hard to say. You could try a slightly thicker oil. But if it one point it got so low on oil that it was knocking, all bets are off as to how long it's going to last.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If it were mine I would use a quality oil additive ,,,maybe STP or ??? the thicker stuff ,,,,or maybe buy some lucas ,,,say a pint or so and use that with You're normal oil ,,,,,,,,it will probably last another 50,000 mi . Good luck
Old 04-23-2011, 08:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's still piston slap after it's warmed up, you have problems. Whether or not it's serious enough depends on the clearances with the collapsed skirts. But with what you have told us, I would be very concerned about what is going on in there. You can pull it apart and have everything checked. (best option), or you might try cutting open your oil filter and taking a look at what is inside there. It may give you a hint. If it's clean, it's probably just pistons.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Not sure if idling it is going to allow the piston to sufficiently expand. When you are using the throttle, letting air in increases the temperature of the burn (leaning a little) so that will heat things up. Add the load of the vehicle also.

How long after driving it does it go away? And at that mileage you have to take into concideration the wear on the rings, sides of the pistons and cylinder walls.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Staging Lane

maybe like 5 minutes before it goes away. but then wen i accelerate from a dead stop until it shifts to second, it sometimes makes the sound.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:04 AM
TECH Regular

Sometimes? Not every time? Are you sure it's not detonation?
Old 04-27-2011, 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

i honestly dont know. if u legit say knockknockknock really fast a bunch of times, thts wat it sounds like. its really bad when i first start it and u can feel it in how it drives, bu it goes away, then u hear it when you accelerate from being stopped.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:04 AM
TECH Regular

You aren't going to believe this, but try cleaning your MAF sensor and see if that helps. If I hadn't seen it myself several times, I wouldn't believe it. My son's CTS-V had a very strange detonation issue we could not resolve with any normal means. We even threw in a new set of injectors thinking one was going lean. Cleaned the MAF and it changed it...but didn't remove it entirely. Threw on a new MAF sensor and it's gone...totally...period. And it hasn't come back.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:30 PM
Banned

Cheap gas.. DAMN YOU OBAMA

Quick Reply: piston slap?