Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Un-freakin believable. I will be da@#ed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Un-freakin believable. I will be da@#ed!!!

Was installing my heads and cracked the F-ing block. Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep, blankety, blank, blank. I cleaned out the holes until old bolts screwed in and out freely, even sprayed brake clean in them and blew' em out. Was installing the passenger head and was running them down with my air ratchet until the touched the head and not a very powerful air ratchet at that. Just a cheap 45.00 dollar one. It got a little tight and wasn't even touching the head yet and all of a sudden pop and it started screwing in like normal again and at the same time I noticed water coming from front of engine block. I said what the heck. And backed the bolt back out a run back in and sure enough, freakin water pushing out the block. I thought when it was getting a little tight that it was the thread locker on the new bolts grabbing hold. But who the heck knows now. Motor is is fixin to hit the floor in about an hour. Gonna push it out in the yard and put a cover over it until I can find me a 6.0 iron block or a long block to go in this thing. This is . Maybe this block will be used someday to make beer cans................. Anybody got any suggestions on a nice budget build on a 6.0 with a decent rotating assembly.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by xX-Z28-Xx
LMAO, sucks to be you.
Like the old saying goes- Gonna play, you gotta pay!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-07-2011, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chicken Coupe
True that!
Old 05-07-2011, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ouch!!
Old 05-07-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That sucks do you think you just missed that whole?
Old 05-07-2011, 04:08 PM
11 Second Club

there was still brake cleaner down in it probably... cant compress fluids...
Old 05-07-2011, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

That doesn't apply here. The threads weren't cleaned properly, and thats what caused the failure.

OP, as a word of advice for the future, the $50 ARP thread cleaning tool is worth its weight in gold
Old 05-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mtuggle86
That sucks do you think you just missed that whole?
No. You cant miss the hole. It went in about 3 or 4 threads and started dragging the air ratchet a little and then all of sudden, POP! And that's when I seen a little water. I am not to sure it wasn't already stressed from freezing. I could understand if I cranked on it or something, but it was not really that much of a resistance to cause me to say wait, somethings wrong. But such is life. Ain't nothing a little money cant fix. I bought this car out of PA and the idiot who owned had almost straight water in it. I bought back in FEB. Even flew up there and drove it back to N.C. with no issues. What the heck, gives me a reason to put a new bottom end in it. Now here comes the hard part.......... Telling the wife!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Chicken Coupe; 05-07-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
the $50 ARP thread cleaning tool is worth its weight in gold
Where can one buy this from? I'd like to have this for the future.

edit: never mind, found it at Summit ARP 912-0011
Old 05-07-2011, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

dam that sucks man, sorry to hear that
Old 05-07-2011, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

Man, I'm just glad it's my car and not one of my customers. I would have broke out the crying towel. LOL. Since I already have the engine torn down it's fixin to come out the hood and not the bottom. Trans is on the ground motor is next. Question? Are 6.0 crank and rods the same as the LS1? Thats where I am headed. Lookin for some more cubes.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Restricted User

im really sorry to hear about that man, that sucks. That is why when I am working on something really important I don't use powerfull air tools and just use a ratchet where you can feel if something is getting more tuff than it should be.

Last edited by 01ssreda4; 05-08-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

where u at in randleman ? what shop u run ?
Old 05-07-2011, 05:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Makes no sense, Something had to be in that hole. Lesson to all, double check the holes. You didn't use any lube or anything right?
Old 05-07-2011, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No. You cant miss the hole. It went in about 3 or 4 threads and started dragging the air ratchet a little and then all of sudden, POP! And that's when I seen a little water. I am not to sure it wasn't already stressed from freezing. I could understand if I cranked on it or something, but it was not really that much of a resistance to cause me to say wait, somethings wrong. But such is life. Ain't nothing a little money cant fix. I bought this car out of PA and the idiot who owned had almost straight water in it. I bought back in FEB. Even flew up there and drove it back to N.C. with no issues. What the heck, gives me a reason to put a new bottom end in it. Now here comes the hard part.......... Telling the wife!!!!!!!!!
Yes you could have missed the that bolt hole when you where cleaning the coolant out of them. There's really no other reason for one to crack at the bolt hole unless there was water in the hole when you where bolting it down.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Man, I'm just glad it's my car and not one of my customers. I would have broke out the crying towel. LOL. Since I already have the engine torn down it's fixin to come out the hood and not the bottom. Trans is on the ground motor is next. Question? Are 6.0 crank and rods the same as the LS1? Thats where I am headed. Lookin for some more cubes.
No the 6.0 should have the same rods as the LS2.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by madmike9396
where u at in randleman ? what shop u run ?
Got my own shop behind the house. Got tired of making other shops all the money. The last shop I worked at was a dealer in G'boro that got shut down by Chrysler. Then I wised up and built me a 30x50 behind the house and went at it. On a more serious note. This here proves no matter how good you think you might be; anything can and will happen. And as far as air tools go. it's not that I couldn't feel it, cause you can if you use them all day everyday. It's like I said before you know when something ain't right by the way the tool is turning and sounding. Rule for me is to never start a bolt with a air tool or to never over kill unless you are willing to tear something up. And neither one was done here. Lessoned learned regardless, I will never run another head bolt down into an aluminum block again without running a thread cleaner in there first. Not a bolt but a thread chaser or cleaner. So take note and learn from my misfortune. Aluminum will pop real easy, don't chance it. Clean it. It probably would have not popped if I had run a chaser in there. All the others went fine. Just this one at the edge of the head that you can see the bolt hole cavity in front of the block. Theres a little hairline crack down that cavity, tube or what ever you wanna call it.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by z99ls1
First off xx-z28-xx ur a ******. And second im really sorry to hear about that man, that sucks. That is why when I am working on something really important I don't use powerfull air tools and just use a ratchet where you can feel if something is getting more tuff than it should be.
LMFAO
Old 05-07-2011, 05:52 PM
Staging Lane

I went over them bolt holes 3 times. Without a shadow of a doubt I did not miss blowing them all out. For a fact, I know I blowed them all out. As a matter of fact it's the bolt hole with the dowel pin in it.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by O2Form
Makes no sense, Something had to be in that hole. Lesson to all, double check the holes. You didn't use any lube or anything right?
Nothing man... No lube, thread tape or anything. I ran the original bolts in and out and sprayed brake cleaner in the holes to clean them out and blew them all out [ FOR SURE] and started the new bolts by hand and was going to run them down till they just touched the head and then start my sequence and POP! Just like I stated before.