Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More accurate oil clearance check/ 2 pieces of plastigage

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default More accurate oil clearance check/ 2 pieces of plastigage

Hello , I was thinking about it and had the thought that checking rod bearing oil clearance with 1 piece of plastigage it would seem to me that it would'nt pull the rod/bearing all the way against the crank but probably would pull the rod/bearing only part-way against the crank thus not really giving You as accurate a reading as say using 2 pieces 180deg apart between the bearing and the crank journal ? Any thoughts from those with engine building experience . Thanx
Old 05-16-2011, 07:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

here is a thought. plastigauge is for stock rebuilds on minivan engines.

get a set of micrometers and measure it correctly. plasticgage will get you "close" and i use that term very lightly.

if you dont have access to micrometers, take everything to a machine shop and have it blue printed. basically, you tell them what you want all your oil clearences to be and they make it happen..
Old 05-16-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Well , I do have the tools but something does'nt seem to compute exactly . The rods when new are supposed to be 2.225" but are 2.223-2.2245 depending on where measured and the bearings are std. .062"each and the crank is 2.0995 pretty much all the way around on the rod journals . Do the math and end up with the outer circumferance of the bearings on the crank adding up to 2.2235 which is bigger than the inside of the rods . With 1 piece of plasticrap I get .001" -.002" depending on where measured . I like the oil clearance I just don't like the out of round so I will probably get the Clevite .002 oversized to the outside of bearings .

Quick Reply: More accurate oil clearance check/ 2 pieces of plastigage