Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best heads and big cam for LS6 resleeved 441ci...4.125 x 4.125

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best heads and big cam for LS6 resleeved 441ci...4.125 x 4.125

I was thinking ported LS7 heads that flow around 400cfm @ .650......

What other options would you guys suggest?

Also, what cam?

It'll be 11.5:1 and I haven't picked a cam yet. I'd like to go 660 lift and rather aggressive, but nothing ridiculous thats going to have idle issues. Gonna use a ported LS7 intake and LS7 TB. 3200 stall for street driving and roll runs only. 3:73 gears.

Thanks for the input, I'm all ears.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would go with ported l7's as well. not sure on cam specs though
Old 05-18-2011, 09:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MAST 11° LS7 head.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
MAST 11° LS7 head.
This one here....good call
Custom EPS cam.....neighborhood of 242-246 In. and 248-252 Ex.
All them LS inches will tame a fairly rowdie bumpstick....should sound nice
Old 05-19-2011, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I asked about 5-6 years ago about how much lift is too much for a 100% daily driven street car. I was asking if .700 can be done and last a long time. People on here basically laughed and said no way.

So....today with whatever improvements have been developed......what is the highest lift I can go with and still have it last a long time?
Old 05-19-2011, 03:43 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd still keep it under 650 if you want it to stay together for a while. IMO, over 650 you are into solid roller territority.

I'd look at something like a 240/250 with about 6.teen lift for something you want to drive all the time. Idle will be better, vacuum will be better, general tuning will be pretty easy to do, and it should still make enough power to get into lots of trouble with on the street
Old 05-22-2011, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I'd still keep it under 650 if you want it to stay together for a while. IMO, over 650 you are into solid roller territority.

I'd look at something like a 240/250 with about 6.teen lift for something you want to drive all the time. Idle will be better, vacuum will be better, general tuning will be pretty easy to do, and it should still make enough power to get into lots of trouble with on the street
Whats that mean for lift?

Old 05-22-2011, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by needadvice
I was thinking ported LS7 heads that flow around 400cfm @ .650......

What other options would you guys suggest?

Also, what cam?

It'll be 11.5:1 and I haven't picked a cam yet. I'd like to go 660 lift and rather aggressive, but nothing ridiculous thats going to have idle issues. Gonna use a ported LS7 intake and LS7 TB. 3200 stall for street driving and roll runs only. 3:73 gears.

Thanks for the input, I'm all ears.

What are you going to do for an intake? Bigger isnt always better if it cant breath. On the other hand Shawn did a pretty good job on the conservative side with this 440

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...ywheel-hp.html
Old 05-22-2011, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

In my 408 I'm running a Comp cam 255/263 .624/.624 115 lsa...its made for a 440 and even idled pretty good in mine...I was running 11:1 compression, but now uping it to 12.5:1 compression to make it alitttle more snappy, and with the valve events I can still run 93 pump gas.

Also running a ported Edelbrock proflo intake to help ot breath at 7,500 rpms.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LPE 403
What are you going to do for an intake? Bigger isnt always better if it cant breath. On the other hand Shawn did a pretty good job on the conservative side with this 440

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...ywheel-hp.html
My friend has a sheet metal intake, a Wilson, that I can get very cheap, as in a $1,000 bucks.
Or a ported FAST 102 or ported LS7 intake. Whatevers best......

What do you think about using a carb style intake with an elbow...so I can keep under the stock WS6 hood?

Old 05-22-2011, 08:25 PM
Race your car!

Whats that mean for lift?

6.teen - .615, .618

More then .610, less then .620 That range just seems like a somewhat happy place if you want the valve springs to last a year or 2
Old 05-22-2011, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

6.teen - .615, .618

More then .610, less then .620 That range just seems like a somewhat happy place if you want the valve springs to last a year or 2
OK.
So I'll do that, .618 sounds good to me.

What springs are best at that lift to live...double springs of course?

Old 05-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Race your car!

Dual spring for sure. As for spring life, it depends what you want to spend. honestly for the $, the extreme duty gold springs from patriot/tsp/etc are a decent spring for the money. Just make sure that when they are set up, that you shim them to about .065 +/- .05 so that way they're strength at seat is bumped up a little. This will help control the heavier valves that you will likly be running.

I would, record the seat and full open pressure on them all @ assembly, and check every oil change, or at least a couple of them (intake/exhaust on each side) and continue to do this until you start seeing the pressure's fall off. There's alot of factors that will effect how long they last. how well you warm the car before driving it, how hard you are on it, how much and how often they see RPM, valvetrain weight, cam lobe, etc. This, is why I would be pretty diligent about testing the first set often, and get some type of lifespan on them.

Let's say, if you know that 18K is when you start seeing them drop off, then I would change at 15K to be safe and make that the norm, and just check every 5 to 6K, for example.

Just check the strength on them, or whatever spring you go with often on the first set, and when you see the seat pressure starting to drop off (say it's 200 @ open, and the next time you check and it's down to 150, that's a good dropoff) I would change them.

If the type/brand you use the first time don't last long, don't hesitate to go to something different, and just repeat the setup and check process. With a cam like I mentioned, say on an xer lobe, with lift in the 615/618 range I would expect to see the springs need to be changed once a year, or about every 12K. That's a guess, as I said every setup is a little different. But you get the idea.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dual spring for sure. As for spring life, it depends what you want to spend. honestly for the $, the extreme duty gold springs from patriot/tsp/etc are a decent spring for the money. Just make sure that when they are set up, that you shim them to about .065 +/- .05 so that way they're strength at seat is bumped up a little. This will help control the heavier valves that you will likly be running.

I would, record the seat and full open pressure on them all @ assembly, and check every oil change, or at least a couple of them (intake/exhaust on each side) and continue to do this until you start seeing the pressure's fall off. There's alot of factors that will effect how long they last. how well you warm the car before driving it, how hard you are on it, how much and how often they see RPM, valvetrain weight, cam lobe, etc. This, is why I would be pretty diligent about testing the first set often, and get some type of lifespan on them.

Let's say, if you know that 18K is when you start seeing them drop off, then I would change at 15K to be safe and make that the norm, and just check every 5 to 6K, for example.

Just check the strength on them, or whatever spring you go with often on the first set, and when you see the seat pressure starting to drop off (say it's 200 @ open, and the next time you check and it's down to 150, that's a good dropoff) I would change them.

If the type/brand you use the first time don't last long, don't hesitate to go to something different, and just repeat the setup and check process. With a cam like I mentioned, say on an xer lobe, with lift in the 615/618 range I would expect to see the springs need to be changed once a year, or about every 12K. That's a guess, as I said every setup is a little different. But you get the idea.
Question.....a friend of mine has a 434ci that has got to have close to 60,000 miles on it right now, he's been driving it as his daily driver for about 6 years now. His cam has .610 lift on both intake and exhaust. His is still perfectly fine and he said has never even checked them once. His engine has been completely untouched and unchecked since he had it installed.

Is .610 allot different than .616-.618 as your recommending for me?
Just wondering why I would have to check them so frequently at 616-618 and have to replace them every year?

Thanks.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:48 PM
Race your car!

Honestly I think your friend has been very lucky that he hasn't had a spring fail. Like I said alot has to do with the lobe that the cam is ground on. If his 610 lift cam is on an xe lobe, or something that's mild on the ramp rate and whatnot it will be alot easier on the valvetrain. But, won't make the power that he could be making.

The lift range I am suggesting, on an xer lobe say, I would change the springs on yearly, or every 10000 miles. If you went with the same lift on an xe lobe, you probably could go ALOT longer then 10000, again I would still be checking on a regular basis to determine spring life.

Your ls7 heads will also have alot heavier valve, then say an ls1 head from 6 years ago due to the size of the valve. This, is one reason you will make alot more power (bigger valve and alot mroe flow) and it's also why you need to be up on the valve spring maintenance more.

I hope this makes sense... ?
Old 05-23-2011, 05:44 PM
TECH Addict

Honestly I think your friend has been very lucky that he hasn't had a spring fail. Like I said alot has to do with the lobe that the cam is ground on. If his 610 lift cam is on an xe lobe, or something that's mild on the ramp rate and whatnot it will be alot easier on the valvetrain. But, won't make the power that he could be making.

The lift range I am suggesting, on an xer lobe say, I would change the springs on yearly, or every 10000 miles. If you went with the same lift on an xe lobe, you probably could go ALOT longer then 10000, again I would still be checking on a regular basis to determine spring life.

Your ls7 heads will also have alot heavier valve, then say an ls1 head from 6 years ago due to the size of the valve. This, is one reason you will make alot more power (bigger valve and alot mroe flow) and it's also why you need to be up on the valve spring maintenance more.

Is rather waste money on replacing my valve springs more often than I need to, rather than waiting and then needing to replace a lot of engine parts because a lazy spring broke...in my opinion it just good insurance
Old 05-23-2011, 06:22 PM
Race your car!

That's my thoughts as well. Better to do it as a maintenance item,then a repair item.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you think spending the extra money on Ti valves will be worth the possible extra power and rev speed?

What about spraying this thing with a dual stage 200-250 DP shot? ---Does this change everything you've posted about---
Old 05-23-2011, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

Do you think spending the extra money on Ti valves will be worth the possible extra power and rev speed?

What about spraying this thing with a dual stage 200-250 DP shot? ---Does this change everything you've posted about---
If you have the money for To valves, by all means yes, the lighter you can get the valve/ retainers, the better because your not working the spring near as hard at high rpms....could save alitttle money and go with hollow valves and To retainers and locks
Old 05-23-2011, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mark21742
If you have the money for To valves, by all means yes, the lighter you can get the valve/ retainers, the better because your not working the spring near as hard at high rpms....could save alitttle money and go with hollow valves and To retainers and locks
Whats the difference in price between Ti valves and good hollow stem valves? Because I was definitely at least going to go with hollow stems.
Ever heard of the Ray Little high rev kits......someone said they're real nice kits....

Also, my builder is recommending I stay around 11.3:1 - 11.5:1 cr down here in hot south Florida. Since we have 93 octane everywhere, would going more like 12:1 be worth it for N/A driving? Also, consider I will spray a 200-250 shot and spraying will definitely be with a stand alone tank with race gas to feed the DP shot.

Last edited by needadvice; 05-23-2011 at 07:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Best heads and big cam for LS6 resleeved 441ci...4.125 x 4.125