Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High fuel pressure problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 02:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default High fuel pressure problem

I had a problem with the car not getting enough fuel. It only had 30psi and would stall when trying to give it gas. So I pulled the tank and pump and found the hose in the tank connecting the pump to the fuel line was split. I replace the hose and now I am getting 60 psi just turning on the ign on. Starting the car I am getting around 85psi (too much).

Have anyone else had this problem before? I have a 5.3 with a LS6 intake, Corvette fuel filterw/ regualtor. Lastly, can anyone tell me how the intank pressure regulator works and is this a sign of this one going bad. Will a 2002 5.3 FPR work in the tank of a 2002 LS1 Camaro?
Old 05-21-2011, 02:54 PM
TECH Regular

As far as I know it is cheaper just to replace the whole fuel pump in tank Module. F bodies use a differential diapham and spring type fixed fuel regulator, basically the spring pressure in the unit regulates fuel pressure in the line,if the spring is broken or stuck you are seeing the results. Last I heard GM wanted like $500 for just that part?? I got the whole fuel module And a new Walbro pump from Racetronix, modded it and never looked back. This was my 2nd walbro the first lasted over 100k and was still going strong when I pulled it during my engine swap, Thunder racing can set you up if you have any questions.

http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...%2D001&eq=&Tp=

Please look to the right of the above linked page and you will see the exsternal regulator for $39 that is mounted under the top of the Fbody fuel module.

Last edited by Anthony Williams; 05-21-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:13 PM
11 Second Club

All you need is this:

http://www.racetronix.biz/items.asp?...atus=0&Tp=&Bc=

These pumps are internally regulated and it sounds like the regulator in yours is stuck wide open, probably why the hose split in the first place. The link is a walboro 255l/hr pump. All you would need. All you do is remove the old pump from the assembly and replace it with the new one. Pretty simple job. You have already had it apart to change the hose so you already know how.

Edit: Well that is the 190l/hr pump but they make the same kit with the 255l/hr. Give them a call
Old 05-21-2011, 03:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by speedsk899
All you need is this:

http://www.racetronix.biz/items.asp?...atus=0&Tp=&Bc=

These pumps are internally regulated and it sounds like the regulator in yours is stuck wide open, probably why the hose split in the first place. The link is a walboro 255l/hr pump. All you would need. All you do is remove the old pump from the assembly and replace it with the new one. Pretty simple job. You have already had it apart to change the hose so you already know how.

Edit: Well that is the 190l/hr pump but they make the same kit with the 255l/hr. Give them a call
I already have this setup. I was wondering if a AFPR would solve the problem.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Anthony Williams
As far as I know it is cheaper just to replace the whole fuel pump in tank Module. F bodies use a differential diapham and spring type fixed fuel regulator, basically the spring pressure in the unit regulates fuel pressure in the line,if the spring is broken or stuck you are seeing the results. Last I heard GM wanted like $500 for just that part?? I got the whole fuel module And a new Walbro pump from Racetronix, modded it and never looked back. This was my 2nd walbro the first lasted over 100k and was still going strong when I pulled it during my engine swap, Thunder racing can set you up if you have any questions.

http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...%2D001&eq=&Tp=

Please look to the right of the above linked page and you will see the exsternal regulator for $39 that is mounted under the top of the Fbody fuel module.
This is a good site, thanks. Oh does the regulator eval line connect to anything? Right now mines does not.

Quick Reply: High fuel pressure problem