Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pan leaking question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Oil pan leaking question

Ok, so I just did a H/C swap and after I bolted the oil pan back up I noticed it leaking where the pan meets the bell housing...right at the bottom. I dropped the pan and did everything again making sure to torque everything in the right sequence, tighting the large one's first so the pan is aligned correctly. Still leaking.

I drained the pan before dropping it, but the car was on ramps so a lot of oil was at the back. My qustion is can oil splash back in the bell housing and then leak out that "notch" at the bottom? I noticed it stopped, then when I took the car off the ramps it started again.

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2011, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

Anyone? Found some antifreeze mixed in.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Bummer man , sounds like a head gasket issue instead of an oil pan issue . Or possibly a rear cover or an oil pan and a freeze plug , whatever You find good luck .
Old 06-02-2011, 08:13 AM
TECH Addict

The car hasn't been started yet after the H/C install. I'm just wondering if when the oil pan is dropped can oil splash into the bell housing and leak out the bottom. There is a little notch at the bottom where the bell housing and oil pan meet. The car was on ramps so everyting was at the back end of the oil pan when I dropped it down.

The anti-freeze is from pulling the heads and fluid draing down the block valleys into the oil pan.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd say yes, if you tilted the pan back towards the bellhousing and it still had some oil in it you could have dumped some into the bellhousing....now its dripping back out