Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Crank Seal P/N and install

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Crank Seal P/N and install

I am trying to press in the front crank seal but i'm having some probelms. I'm following ls1howto instructions and some posts I found here. However, I think those might have been an older part number? Ls1how to referencesP/N 12561244.

The instructions say just tap in with a hammer but this seal looks very thick. like the groove it would seat into would not been deep enough?? I have P/N 12585673. I was going to try pressing it in with a block of wood, vice, and a donut but I didn't want to ruin a 25-30 dollar gasket.

I know there are alignment tools to center it around the crank snouth but are these part numbers installed differently. Both of them show up as a front crank seal. What I am missing? Is there a better method?

Thanks
Old 06-08-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

thats weird its being that much of a p.i.t.a. i pressed mine in with just using my thumbs and going around it.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:26 AM
Teching In

Mine did not come out easily either. Most people said they could just pry/pop it out with a screwdriver. Mine was really stuck in there and I had cut/clean it out for a while.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:23 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

12585673 is just the new part number for that seal. I believe it is an identical part to the old front seal. GM likely changed sources for the seal and superseded the part number in the process.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!

Quick Reply: Front Crank Seal P/N and install