Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder Head Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 04:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Cylinder Head Help

Hey guys, I have some worn valve guides on my 215cc TFS heads. I was thinking of taking them in to get new guides pressed in. I was wondering what else should be done to the heads at the same time. Should I replace all the valves or just those that are no longer straight, and would this require new valve seats? I was thinking of ordering the parts from TFS myself. So far my list lists new guides, valves, and seats. I will be using the same springs since they are only a year old and the pressures check out. Am I missing something or are all those parts necessary? I dont need porting or milling and Im trying to keep costs down. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sub'ed, i have a set of 243's that might have worn parts and i would like to hear peoples responses on this.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You should consider getting powdered metal valve guides instead of the bronze valve guides.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Darkman
You should consider getting powdered metal valve guides instead of the bronze valve guides.

Do they wear less?
Old 07-28-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't replace the valves if they don't need to be. I would also see how much a valve job would be, basically just get new valve seats, It isn't necessary but if they are worn a little I would replace them. I did my own valve job on my heads, I just used some valve lapping compound and ground a new seal. It isn't as good as getting new valve seats but it’s the next best thing and it’s allot cheaper.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2000PewterT/A
I wouldn't replace the valves if they don't need to be. I would also see how much a valve job would be, basically just get new valve seats, It isn't necessary but if they are worn a little I would replace them. I did my own valve job on my heads, I just used some valve lapping compound and ground a new seal. It isn't as good as getting new valve seats but it’s the next best thing and it’s allot cheaper.

Well I would think that the valve with the worn seal might need replacing. So the valve job would use the existing valves and just new seats? What was involved in doing the job yourself?
Old 07-28-2011, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by C5natie
Do they wear less?
Yes.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/14109610-post32.html
Old 07-28-2011, 08:41 PM
10 Second Club

I see but I do and have always used roller rockers. Harland Sharps before and now Yella Terras. I believe the damage to the valve guide was due to valve float caused by the nose heavy HS rockers. With good springs and the YT rockers valve float isn't currently a problem but it seems the damage has been done. I know stock heads use powdered metal guides. Thing is TFS only has bronze replacements.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by C5natie
I see but I do and have always used roller rockers. Harland Sharps before and now Yella Terras. I believe the damage to the valve guide was due to valve float caused by the nose heavy HS rockers. With good springs and the YT rockers valve float isn't currently a problem but it seems the damage has been done. I know stock heads use powdered metal guides. Thing is TFS only has bronze replacements.
You are right that the need for powdered metal guides is usually driven by the use of non-roller rockers. I suggested them only because you mentioned that you had worn out some guides. If you want more durability you could call Total Engine Airflow and talk to Brian Tooley about the powdered metal.

If I had known about their availabilty I would have had them installed in my 215s even though I am running Jesel shaft-mounted roller rockers.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:25 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You are right that the need for powdered metal guides is usually driven by the use of non-roller rockers. I suggested them only because you mentioned that you had worn out some guides. If you want more durability you could call Total Engine Airflow and talk to Brian Tooley about the powdered metal.

If I had known about their availabilty I would have had them installed in my 215s even though I am running Jesel shaft-mounted roller rockers.
definately call brian tooley at tea...he made a thread a while ago that he does offer the tfs heads with powdered metal guides for a lil more money. Matter of fact he is running powdered metal guides in his tfs heads and running stock rockers with the trunion upgrade on his own motor last time i checked.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by quiet_storm98
definately call brian tooley at tea...he made a thread a while ago that he does offer the tfs heads with powdered metal guides for a lil more money. Matter of fact he is running powdered metal guides in his tfs heads and running stock rockers with the trunion upgrade on his own motor last time i checked.

Thnx for reference guys. Does he offer the guides by themselves so I can have them pressed on?