Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rev limiter

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rev limiter

first off, in the two and a half months i've owned my car, i've probably hit the limiter about ~10 times due to loss of traction, or just plain missing a gear and revving in neutral. never a misshift though *knocking on wood right now*. is that ~10 times in almost three months bad or bad for my car?

secondly, i've read a lot about stock rev limiter and people hitting them ect ect, but never really gotten a good solid answer. my question is this: is hitting the stock rev limiter on a basically stock car a big deal?

driving a manual it is sometimes difficult, if not impossible, to avoid the rev limiter if you are driving your car any more than conservative. some people say they've bent pushrods just hitting the limiter once, and some say "that's what the rev limiter is there for - to keep you from hurting your car." so what's the scoop?
Old 03-07-2004, 12:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 173 Likes on 117 Posts

Everyone said I lived on mine. Motor lasted through 300 passes and 50000 miles. Keep getting up.
Old 03-07-2004, 12:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stock rev-limiter is there to prevent damage to the motor. The only time you will damage the motor is if you mis-shift to a lower gear....like if you are attempting to shift from 3rd to 4th and accidently pull the shifter into 2nd. If you don't push the clutch in immediately then you WILL hurt the motor. The very first thing it will do is bend the pushrods and then possibly bend a valve.