Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lq4 forged piston rock?Video

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 11:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question lq4 forged piston rock?Video

Well bought this motor to install last year on my previous car,but sold it and not till recently bought another car,replaced the ls1 with a lq4.I didn't even know it had forged pistons till I installed it lol.Well turns out as soon as it was started,it started tapping.My thoughts were well must be a lifter..So a 2 days ago pulled the heads inspected everything nothing unusual.Went off to buy new ls7 lifters,gaskets,etc.I decided to clean the top of the pistons a little and as I was cleaning the #1 piston it rocked left to right I was like this doesn't seem right.

So its my understanding that forged pistons need a little more piston to wall clearance?When engine gets to operating temp the pistons expands?My question is would the tap sound I heard be actually the piston or pistons rocking?Video I took sorry for the quality cell phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtZtwW4pElQ
Old 10-08-2011, 11:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya thats way way to loose ! Rebuild that sucker, it probably has some major damage from running that loose
Old 10-08-2011, 11:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cylinder walls look good,Oil pressure was good,Also when engine was raised to 2000 rpm the sound fainted almost away.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Did You measure between that bottom ring land and the cylinder ? Pistons on the pin end sides only have that narrow part that is below the oil ring that is the same diameter as the skirt , the ring lands are between .030" and .050" narrower than the skirt and that narrow part below the oil ring on the pin end side . But that does seem a little excessive . Good luck fo sho .
Old 10-09-2011, 05:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the motor tap when fully warmed up? The video makes it appear as though there is entirely too much PTW clearance. Measuring would end all doubts though.