Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

getting ready for the build...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting ready for the build...

Got a few things i want to clear up before jumping into my cam swap... please provide your opinions/input/suggestions
I HAVE:
228/232 612/600 112 lsa Ed Curtis cam
PRC .650 dual spring kit
Powerbond 25% udp
Potz ported tb
TSP ported LS6 oil pump
LS2 chain
LS7 lifters
Comp trunion
HPE cutout

YET TO BUY:
Pushrods
Gaskets

Car is a 02 ws6 with 130k and a fresh clutch (previous owner claims) and already has 1 3/4 pacesetter lt's, 3" o/r Y, slp lid... due to finances the stock 241s will remain on it for now.

Is there anything else i need or could use??

I have heard certain gaskets you can re-use. Would it be a good idea to change them anyway? I have been looking at felpro timing cover gasket kit part# TCS 45993 and valve cover gaskets part# VS 50504 R. Are these ok or do i need GM stuff? For the head gaskets i have always heard use GM MLS but what is my bore size?

Also, i hear to use 7.4 pushrods with stock unmilled heads/stock head gaskets/ls7 lifters. Or should i measure with a checker?

Have been searching for a while so sorry if all this is repeat. I dont ever seem to come up with much. Thanks for any info!
Old 01-14-2012, 05:51 PM
Teching In

I would get new gaskets for everything. Better safe than sorry

And I would recommend getting the pushrods last, after you check properly with a pushrod lengh checker. Lots of people just buy the recommended pushrod lengh for that certain package, but it may be a little off. It will still run fine, just not as optimal as it can.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would replace any elastomeric gasket that you come across. You have to figure that your gaskets are 10 years old with 100k+ miles, rubber breaks down over time, period. Felpro replacement kits will be fine.

For the head gaskets, if you run a thinner gasket (.030 or .040) it will bump your compression a bit. Your head gasket bore size will be approx 3.910".

You should check the PTV since you are changing the cam. You will need an adjustable length pushrod, low-rate checking spring, cam degree wheel, and a dial indicator on a magnetic base. These parts can be had for $50 or less if you shop around (ebay and Jegs).

Dont forget to get new head bolts, the factory bolts are NOT reusable.

Do you have a vise or press for the old rocker arm bearings? FYI, here is a pic of how I did it.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

I think im going to stick with measuring them just in case. I saw a post on here where ls7 lifters are .050 taller so a 7.4 would be too long. Measuring will help me sleep at night.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

Rezintexas good info on the trunion thank you! I love pics! Hahaha And yea i have arp everthing as far as bolts go. I also have access to an adjustable push rod checker and what not.

Quick Reply: getting ready for the build...