Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 NO spark any help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 NO spark any help please

first. sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, pretty new to this, never had a problem with my car. Went out to my 99 LS1 cranking but no start. Was running fine the night before. My friend(mechanic) suggested the crank postion sensor. Replaced with no luck. We checked and NO spark. Is there any other things we can check. He also suggested getting a ECM any chance someone knows if that can be checked. Also recommend a cam position sensor which seems like a bear to replace any way that can be checked, I would really appreciate any help guys. She has 209,000 miles and has never given me a problem. I really need some help. Thanks
Old 02-05-2012, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

Did you check all coils for spark? Check all fuses? Do you have noid lights to check injector pulse? I woe start with all of thoses if you have not yet
Old 02-05-2012, 10:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, check the fuses for fuel pump & coils.
Can you hear the fuel pump prime when the key is turned?
Then, rent a noid light set from AutoZone. You get your money back when you return the set. The light will be plugged into one or more coil pack harness plugs to check for ignition/spark signal. No light, no spark.
Bad fuel pump? You can spray ether into the TB while cranking. It'll start if the fuel pump is NG.
Just a couple of things to start you.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:59 AM
Teching In

thanks guys I can hear the fuel pump prime and there is fuel in the rail. I have had a bad coil pack before but it still started. Fuses are also good. Thanks for the replys any other help would be great
Old 02-05-2012, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

crankshaft or camshaft sensor or maybe pass lock??
Old 02-05-2012, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by nj99blackSS
thanks guys I can hear the fuel pump prime and there is fuel in the rail. I have had a bad coil pack before but it still started. Fuses are also good. Thanks for the replys any other help would be great
Still get the noid lights plug in to injectors and see if the fuel injectors are being told to fire. If they are being told to fire and you have spark you can rule out crank sensor and camshaft position sensor
Old 02-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Teching In

thanks i will get the injectors checked. pretty sure there is no spark though
Old 02-05-2012, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

There should be some codes stored ,,,,,,,,,,,,check engine light ,,,,,,,I would start there getting the codes .
Old 02-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Launching!

Had this before, totally out of the blue. Check the coolant temp sensor on the drivers side head, I was told bad sensor = crank but no start/spark. My problem turned out to be a bad ignition relay in the fuse block, Fan #2 uses the same relay, swapped them and it started right up.

Free test and free fix... worth a try
Old 06-24-2017, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Soul Crusher
Had this before, totally out of the blue. Check the coolant temp sensor on the drivers side head, I was told bad sensor = crank but no start/spark. My problem turned out to be a bad ignition relay in the fuse block, Fan #2 uses the same relay, swapped them and it started right up.

Free test and free fix... worth a try

How true is this? Having A issue with no spark on my swap.. pcm is sending spark but the coils aren't getting it.. ground looks good fuses are good. But I have no temp sensor plugged in..
Old 06-24-2017, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Happens all the time, swap a fan relay with the ignition relay

Quick Reply: LS1 NO spark any help please