Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem changing valve springs..

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem changing valve springs..

Hey guys im changing valve springs for the first time in my 1999 z28, I am using tim's tool i believe... the problem is when putting the new spring back on the puts the spring in a bind and pushes the valve down with it. I can NOT get the valve to stay centered in the tool to be able to put the retainers back in... any tips or tricks?
Old 04-05-2012, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are the heads off the car? If so, it can be done but it's more difficult. You'll need to put a socket or something under the valve to keep it from going down with the spring. Or, you need to use a big clamp type valve spring compressor designed for spring replacement with the heads off the car.

If the heads are on the car, you need to run compressed air into the cylinder to hold the valves up tight. This method works best. I've heard some guys use the TDC method but I'm pretty sure the valve can still drop down a little.

For getting the spring centered with the tool, you just have to move it around a little to get the best placement for compressing the spring. When compressing the spring, it it looks like it going crooked, you can take a screwdriver and pry the spring a little bit to center it back up while compressing it. After a few times and practice it gets easier.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Hey thanks for the reply, heads are on the car... tried the screwdriver to move it, and it worked great, can do a spring in 5 ish minutes! going a LOT smoother than I thought for sure... well have not done the back ones yet so we will see thanks for the tip!!
Old 04-06-2012, 01:17 PM
Teching In

it lives!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53jP4...s891Ggi6qFIr0=
Old 04-06-2012, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by azimm1984
Hey thanks for the reply, heads are on the car... tried the screwdriver to move it, and it worked great, can do a spring in 5 ish minutes! going a LOT smoother than I thought for sure... well have not done the back ones yet so we will see thanks for the tip!!
this is my preferred method