Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 cam bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 07:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 cam bearings?

Was at this show/meet a couple weeks ago and this guy mention that LS1's had problematic cam bearings. I've never ever heard that before, but it got me curious. I've been through so much research on these earlier LS engines and I've been in this game for a while now.. but I figured I'd ask.

Ideas? The only thing I can figure is if you're an idiot when installing a cam and nick every bearing when installing it. THEN you'd have a problem.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:10 AM
On The Tree

I replaced mine for safe measure when I had the engine on the stand. When I looked at mine I could see that some looked like they were worn out and it worried me so I put another set in. I guess I should have done better research because after I changed them I found a post on here that said the bronze that was showing was normal as GM clearanced them from the factory. I am fortunate to have the proper tools to change Cam bearings myself and my motor was out so I figured it was a safe measure for my motor, but not everyone can do it, especially with the motor in the car.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

They are problematic, and it is a good idea to change them if you are rebuilding the engine.
My 6L was removed from the truck it was in because of low oil pressure, a result of worn cam bearings. And when I took my LS1 out of my car the cam bearings were worn out on it also.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I noticed that the cam bearings had the slightest wear (31k) at 12 o'clock, & at 6pm. It wasn't enough to cause me to change them.
I can see though, how the application of torque to the cam gear could cause this wear.

Quick Reply: LS1 cam bearings?