Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help, clicking noise after flywheel, heads, cam install!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 02:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help, clicking noise after flywheel, heads, cam install!

I have a 2004 CTS-V with an LS6 that I am installing heads, cam, and lightened flywheel on. This is my first install for all of these parts and I've run into something that is making my nervous.

I installed the flywheel, heads, rockers, etc today and after I finished I ran through a few stroke cycles by turning the crank to make sure everything seemed good (looking for valves hitting pistons) and I'm hearing an audible clicking or knocking sound exactly every 180 degree's or half turn of the crank. I don't believe the valves are hitting the piston because I can still turn the crank just as easy, but not sure if that matters.

Any thoughts on this? Is this sound normal? Please help, super paranoid about turning the enigine on now!

Last edited by etcts-v; 05-29-2012 at 03:57 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have 7.400 pushrods, stock rockers, stage 2.5 Precision Race heads with Dual Valve Springs and a CompCam/Texas Speed TorquerV3 Camshaft 231/234 .643/598
Old 05-29-2012, 03:00 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hydraulic roller pushrod to rocker lash? Did you zero the lash on the rockers and then give 1/2 a turn? Miss one possibly?

are all of the valves moving as they should?

Last edited by SS10Tech; 05-29-2012 at 03:27 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SS10Tech
Hydraulic roller pushrod to rocker lash? Did you zero the lash on the rockers and then give 1/2 a turn? Miss one possibly?

I installed the rockers by starting at piston 1, holding the push rods down and cycling the engine until the exhaust rod started lifting then torqued the intake rocker. I then rotated the crank until the intake valve fully opened and closed then torqued the exhaust side. I followed that procedure for each piston (read it in an ls1 building book).

Sounds like I may need to redo the install of these, just googled rod lash and found a write up from Comp Cam, I try that and see if it helps. One queston, so I zero the lash and then turn the rocker bolt one half turn correct? Do I just ignore the torque specs for the rockers?

The valves seem to be moving as they should, but I will try again tonight. Thank you for your assistance!!

Last edited by etcts-v; 05-29-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe I figured it out, similar sound to the one in this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...over-hand.html

Must be the springs on the clutch plate! Thank you for your help
Old 05-29-2012, 04:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SS10Tech

this is how you set adjustable rockers like in the old SBC and BBC motors.
on a LS motor you adjust to 0 lash and then torque to 22ft/lbs. If you measured your pushrod length correctly that is all you need to do.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by baxsom
this is how you set adjustable rockers like in the old SBC and BBC motors.
on a LS motor you adjust to 0 lash and then torque to 22ft/lbs. If you measured your pushrod length correctly that is all you need to do.
Somebody just told me the same thing on the cadillac forums, I was super confused there for a minute! haha

Quick Reply: Need help, clicking noise after flywheel, heads, cam install!