Sponsored by:

Valve steamsm and roller rocker problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 03:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve steamsm and roller rocker problems

Hi guys,

i controlled the roller rockers and saw that the mechanic didn`t use lash caps for the valve stems so the rocker arms hit the valve spring retainer instead of the roll the first miles.

Technical it could not cause a damage that the rocker arm hit the valve spring retainer for a while till it was cut? The bearing from the roller rocker at the push rod side has to do the same work equal if the arm or the roll hits the valve spring retainer?

The valve steam is also too short to put a lash cap on it.

Now i drove about 6000 miles with this work without problems.
Should i look for performance rocker arms with smaller rolls than the golden crane race ones?

Do you know smaller ones with standard 1.7?

With the situation now, what do you mean, is it dangerous that maybe the roll always hits the cutters or would it had damaged the engine after 6000 miles if it would be a problem?

Here are the picts:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

We changed the valves and valve springs at the AFR 225 heads to extreme ones to handle the boost problems.

Thank you
Old 06-09-2012, 05:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to either get new locks, or retainers....looks like the ones you have are running two different degrees....either need to run 7 degree on 7 degree, or 10 server on 10 degree.

With a matching set of locks and retainers the retainer will sit a lot lower on the valve stem and the rockers you have will work properly...

DO NOT RUN THIS ENGINE AT ALL with the setup you have in there now...you are very lucky the locks didn't jump out of the retainers and shoot all the valves into your pistons!!!!
Old 06-09-2012, 07:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Looks to me as tho the valves are jammed down into the retainers. The retainers, locks, and probably the valves are junk....[Valves likely have the lock grooves messed up. And, it will be some work to get them out of the heads, without creating guide damage.]

And, FIRE the engine "builder"....
Old 06-09-2012, 08:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Old Geezer

And, FIRE the engine "builder"....
This!!!!! If its a real engine shop they never would have put the heads together like that...in my opinion they did this and owe you any damage for their incompetense!
Old 06-09-2012, 08:01 AM
TECH Addict

Where are you from anyway? Care to share the shops name so people know to stay away from it?
Old 06-11-2012, 04:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, your retainer/keeper setup is FUBAR. If these are AFR heads, contact Tony or AFR for some help. I agree with mark21742, don't run this motor and find someone who knows what they are doing.

Last edited by vettenuts; 06-12-2012 at 04:13 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Wow.

The LS 7 degree and STD 7 degree are different. Looks like has a std 7degree retainer with stock locks. Replace everything.