Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S/C vs. stroker kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 10:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default S/C vs. stroker kit

what would you all suggest doin? A lunati 382 stroker kit, or an ATI pro charger. Basically im wondering what order i should do things. Would it be best to go cam, then stroker then procharger? Or what order would you all mod your cars if you planed to get new heads, cam, stroker, and pro charger eventually? Also what parts would you all use, i was thinking the lunati 382 stroker kit seems good.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The method i am doing is working my way up slowly. Slowly modding my car, my next step is heads and cam then 12 bolt, then brobably a D1 or twin on a 370 iron block. Just feel i need the experience on a heads and cam car before i jump to a full race. Had a friend that had a stock mustang 95 cobra, added a procharger, dss 347 boost motor with afr 205's, and so on, the car was totaled. He jumped from a 220 hp setup to a 600 hp setup and it lasted him a month. Should have built his way up to get used to the power. So either go heads and cam or procharger, you can always get a stroker afterward. Personaly if you want a supercharger start there then work your way up.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:00 AM
TECH Resident

The cheapest route would probably be the S/C first then work your way up. There are more problems with a S/C than H/C as you increase the boost so in the end maybe H/C is the cheapest. If you went the H/C you will only get good power out of high compression which is not what you want if you were planning on S/C'ing it down the road. Which ever you choose, like said above, I would go slowly.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:51 AM
On The Tree

U will need to consider suspension w/ the power upgrade unless your building a conversation piece.

WG
Old 04-06-2004, 02:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Take my advice, go with the stroker. Forced Induction will pay off eventually, but it's a huge pain in the ***. The stroker will definitely be cheaper in the long run.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:21 AM
Launching!

well what i want is to eventually get all of it done. But i know if i get a cam, i will most likely have to get a new one once i get a supercharger. So would it be best to get a stroker first, then a small cam, then a supercharger, and 6.0L iron heads? Or would i have the get the heads before the stroker kit. Im basically wondering in what order would you all build your cars too still have a car that you could drive through any wheather. I was thinkin a 382 stroker can still be driven in all weather, then would it be better to just get a mild cam and a small shot of nitrous? Should i go forged internals even if im only plannin around a 100shot on a 383 stroker? What parts? The lunati stroker kit looked good, but would i have to buy anything else or does it come with everything needed?

Last edited by brandon1221; 04-06-2004 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

This is really up to you...you could go a couple different ways. On this car I plan to go FI down the road as well. You could get the heads and cam first that would complement the SC...but you would need low compression heads. You could then get the SC or the stroker...its really up to you. Or you could get the SC first. If I were you, I would prolly get the SC first, then the heads and cam and then the stroker. The heads and cam with low compression by themselves will be an improvement over stock, but not like the heads/cam with 11:1 or something like that....but I would rather run the SC first to realize some power. It just sounds like you are going at it from a budgetary standpoint and it ultimately is up to you, but if you buy the SC first, then the heads/cam, then the stroker you really won't have to buy another set up low compression heads or another cam again if you were to go one of the other routes. Most of these stroker kits are going to include bearings, etc and there are other kits that are more budget friendly too, but the Lunati kit is excellent (and pricey) Good luck
Old 04-06-2004, 02:02 PM
Launching!

Which one would you all say is better/more practical for a daily driver, a small stroker kit or a S/C. I am beginning to think that a 383 stroker kit with a 100 shot of nitrous and a mild cam might be the best. And then just dont get a SC. So that way it will also be all engine when im not spraying. Id think the stroker with a cam and 100-150 shot would get me well into the 11s. And would also get me over 500wrhp with nitrous, and still good for daily driving minus gas milage.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

H/C cars 'typically' move the torque range (power band) into the higher rpm's. This is a general statement and can be modified based upon the extremes of the H/C build and the driver's definition of 'daily driver'. However, S/C cars typically maintain a better street drivabilility until the power band of stock-like cam, which is typically above 2500-3000 rpm's. Below that, you are in the stock-like cam's N/A profile and lower power band. Above that and you have added enough boost above N/A to force more net HP out the stock-like cam's same power band. I consider that to be 'daily driver'. You just have to decide what is 'daily driver' for you.

I would go mild S/C. Get that right (injectors, fuel supply volume/pressure, timing) for your stock 10.1:1 CR and then tweak it. The I would H/C to complement the S/C. Then if I wanted to go stroker, I'd get another block and build that to stroker, then transfer the H/C and S/C to the new stroker. But that's just me. I'm sure there are a lot of differing preferences.....

Last edited by Proud2bSS; 04-06-2004 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:38 PM
Launching!

i am in the same situation as you but i dont have the large budget to buy heads and cam, tune it, stroker, tune it, and on top of all that a sc and a tune. i myself want to just go with one or the other. remember, you said you want a daily driver, a stroked, heads and cammed, blown motor doesnt seem like to me.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

For a daily driver, a well tuned Procharger will work very well. There are a lot of mild boost procharged LS1/LS6 out there with 40K+ miles on them. Easy way to put down around 500hp and still have low maintenance and high reliability.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DenzSS
For a daily driver, a well tuned Procharger will work very well. There are a lot of mild boost procharged LS1/LS6 out there with 40K+ miles on them. Easy way to put down around 500hp and still have low maintenance and high reliability.
I agree. As I stated above, it just really depends on what YOU want in particular. The S/C would be able to provide a very nice power increase and throughout most all of the rpm range.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

That stated, a stroker with a REASONABLE street setup is also very reliable and maintenance free. You just have to know how to build street engines and have the discipline to do so.

Given the statements you've made, I would recommend a Procharger with good custom tuning. A stroker will, however, work nicely as well. The stroker will produce more torque than a low boost centrifugal.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

stroke it now, and get blown later.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:58 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i thought you wanted mods that your parents wouldnt notice or feel
Old 04-06-2004, 11:07 PM
Launching!

Im just thinking ahead, for when im in thinking about doing all of this at once. I just like to plan acollege and it doesnt matter what i do. Im also not going to do all of them at once id prob. do all of it over the course of a few years. Do 1 thing then get used to it, then do anouther big thing. I was thinking of just gettin a TR224/224 cam, but then decided if i was to ever get a S/C id just have to replace it, not sure if that would be a good cam for a stroker engine. I just dont want to buy a cam, then 2 years later have to take it out and put anouther one in with a stroker or S/C. Or should i just save up more and get a stroker or S/C first?
Old 04-07-2004, 12:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

FWIW, a stroker motor done right (if using the same block) is going to require you to take the cam out anyway. And same stroker is going to cost you way more than a $400 cam, believe me.

An ATI ProCharger, twin intercooled S/C setup will run you for $5-6K. That would include bigger injectors, new fuel pump, the ATI S/C, guages, etc. and tuning. Don't short change yourself when going boost.

Good luck to you what ever you finally decide!
Old 04-15-2004, 06:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DenzSS
That is actually a good path. I like that idea